Red Head Tapajos group dynamics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nothing

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90g tank and am looking to add a group of Red Head Tapajos. I've read they like to be in groups but any further information has evaded me. Would 4 be an acceptable number? A trio? What M:F ratio should I aim for? If a breeding pair forms will the others in the group get beat on or will they be okay? They won't be the only fish in the tank there will also be a severum and some Congo tetras. Also, how well do geos do with other geo species? Like Winemilleri? Any info is greatly appreciated :)

I have a 90g tank and am looking to add a group of Red Head Tapajos. I've read they like to be in groups but any further information has evaded me. Would 4 be an acceptable number? A trio? What M:F ratio should I aim for? If a breeding pair forms will the others in the group get beat on or will they be okay? They won't be the only fish in the tank there will also be a severum and some Congo tetras. Also, how well do geos do with other geo species? Like Winemilleri? Any info is greatly appreciated :)

My kinda post! I try to get all of my geos in trios. They tend to be hard to sex a young age so unless you're getting mature fish it's a gamble on sex. By getting trios the likelihood of getting a pair is better. They tend to do very well with other geo species and really anything else you put with them. The really only show aggression when breeding and even then it's a simple chase away from a spawning site.

cbourg746 said:
My kinda post! I try to get all of my geos in trios. They tend to be hard to sex a young age so unless you're getting mature fish it's a gamble on sex. By getting trios the likelihood of getting a pair is better. They tend to do very well with other geo species and really anything else you put with them. The really only show aggression when breeding and even then it's a simple chase away from a spawning site.

I have 6 coming tomorrow. Hope I like them better than you liked your discus!

Awesome I'm happy with what I'm hearing! I'll get a trio then, I believe they will be at 2-2.75". Do you think one rotkiel severum, 3 red heads, 10 Congo tetras, one common pleco (I know, I know, long story short I don't have an option) and one Geophagus Winemilleri would work in the 90g? Or would I be better off without the Winemilleri

I have 6 coming tomorrow. Hope I like them better than you liked your discus!

The discus are growing on me more and more. Since I made the tank swap to the new 125 they are moving around and are out front a lot.

Awesome I'm happy with what I'm hearing! I'll get a trio then, I believe they will be at 2-2.75". Do you think one rotkiel severum, 3 red heads, 10 Congo tetras, one common pleco (I know, I know, long story short I don't have an option) and one Geophagus Winemilleri would work in the 90g? Or would I be better off without the Winemilleri

You should be just fine although a second or third winemilleri wouldn't hurt. Just remember that the geos will dig all day long so if you want clear water make sure to up the filtration.

36" is not enough floor space. Look up guianacara, and gymnogeophagus for starters.

Wouldn't pindare work? They're only 6" as adults, not that a 3' is ideal, but seems like a trio is do-able with a good water change schedule

I agree though, gymnogeophagus balzanii are a good starter due to not needing a temp drop like other geos. Guinacara is one of my favorite genera!

Wouldn't pindare work? They're only 6" as adults, not that a 3' is ideal, but seems like a trio is do-able with a good water change schedule

I agree though, gymnogeophagus balzanii are a good starter due to not needing a temp drop like other geos. Guinacara is one of my favorite genera!

Pindare can get 8-9". They are not one of the smaller species. I would recommend dwarfs in a 36" footprint.

Not trying to argue or question you, just curious myself

I think they use a average size when making those profiles but the mother of my pindare fry is 7" and the father is 8.5" so I guess it depends on the genetics of the fish. Red heads will usually max out around 5.5-6" IME but I've seen some pretty big pindare. They are very similar to my neambi who is pushing 8" now after 1.5 years.

Everything I've seen or read shows geophagus sp. rio pindare as only getting 5-6" and being one of the smallest geos

You should be just fine although a second or third winemilleri wouldn't hurt. Just remember that the geos will dig all day long so if you want clear water make sure to up the filtration.

Okay a second or third sounds good, I think I'll get two just because of the bioload of the pleco. I'm gonna probably try and get two of the same gender but if I happen to get a pair that breeds are the Winemilleri fairly lax parents like the red heads or are they gonna cause a commotion in the tank? As for filtration I'm just running a Ehiem Proffessional 2 canister I'm not sure exactly which model it is, I bought the tank and everything off Kijiji. So I've been thinking about getting another filter in addition. What would you recommend? Preferably something with a reasonable price, I'm a student and I already have to buy all the sand and fish still which will be quite pricey.

I can't find a pic with a good reference point to judge size but I swear these things are pretty big. Maybe he just happened to get a bigger bloodline. Every place I've looked up tells me the same as what your saying. Regardless a 36" footprint is cramped for fish that size and that are that messy.

Back
Top Bottom