Red parrot cichlid color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda25cicfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just curious do my fish look healthy? THE PEY STORE SAID THEY WOULD B BRIGHT AND THEY SEAM TO STAY PEACH TO LIGHT ORANGE.

ForumRunner_20120306_084227.jpg

ForumRunner_20120306_084239.jpg

ForumRunner_20120306_084248.jpg

ForumRunner_20120306_084322.jpg

They look great :) thats the colour they should be. I've seen a tank full of them in all colours and some even with stripes but this is only down to them being "tattooed" which I think is cruel and should be banned personally. If LFS refused to buy these from the wholesaler the demand wouldn't be there

Those are not dyed. Those are natural blood parrot cichlids. The darker orange/reddish ones are the bloody red parrot cichlids.

I have one that resembles yours and two that are bloody reds.

I am also concerned about tank sizes. You'd need at least 55 gallons for those now, and closer to 75 as they mature. :)

Yeah basically putting a cat with a small parrot in a small cage :(
African cichlids can be very aggressive

Blood parrots have no defense system. Their mouths are deformed in such a way that they can not defend themselves by using it against the more aggressive species.

I agree that you need to remove the parrots from that tank. Sorry. :(

Im going to remove them soon looking for a tank now. Petsmart tild me i.could put them together and thrn my local individually owned told me that theybwere wrong

The lfs gives bad info. Aslong they can sell fish every thing will go together. Bloodparrot are nice fish they get about 12 to 15 inch. Surf on the net for info. About the fish you wil bay.

The lfs gives bad info. Aslong they can sell fish every thing will go together. Bloodparrot are nice fish they get about 12 to 15 inch. Surf on the net for info. About the fish you wil bay.

that seems VERY extreme, biggest i have ever seen was MAYBE 8 inches tops

Back
Top Bottom