Red severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbacichlids

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just picked up 2 red Severums. Has anyone kept them? They seem to be picky eaters but I read they will eat almost anything. Any thing I can feed them to get them going? Second question is a red severum and a sunburst severum the same? Here's a pic of my guys ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400642267.635104.jpg sorry is blurry phone don't take great pics

What size tank, and what else is in the tank with them?

Severums, like other cichlids, can be shy at first. Since you just got them, I wouldn't worry about their lack of appetite.... they'll gain it back. :p

You can tempt them with frozen and/or live foods, but based on my experience with severums, it won't be long until you're able to get them onto pellet foods. Give them some time and they won't be shy about eating! ;)

Got them in a 125 gallon I got a little ice blue zebra with them right now he's about inches. Are red and sunburst Severums the same ? And thank you

Got them in a 125 gallon I got a little ice blue zebra with them right now he's about inches. Are red and sunburst Severums the same ? And thank you
The ice blue zebra is an African cichlid the severum is a new world cichlid. I would not mix them.

As for severums, There are three common:

•gold an green - one species i believe H. efasciatus.
•red shoulder i dont know the species name.
•H. Severum is a wild type and mouth breeder, never seen one outside a public aquarium.

The ice blue zebra is an African cichlid the severum is a new world cichlid. I would not mix them.

•H. Severum is a wild type and mouth breeder, never seen one outside a public aquarium.

The African is a lot smaller then either of the Severums. But I will take your advice and rehome him they are all beautiful fish I don't want to come home to any dead fish. Thank you

I believe my guys are heros efasciatus

Suitable tank mates would be larger danios, or other larger shoaling fish some plecos, or other similar sized cichlids. Their temperament is tank adjusted they can hold their own with a convict or will mind their business if kept with less hostile fish. Just have to pick which route to go cause something like a convict might kill a great danio.

Suitable tank mates would be larger danios, or other larger shoaling fish some plecos, or other similar sized cichlids. Their temperament is tank adjusted they can hold their own with a convict or will mind their business if kept with less hostile fish. Just have to pick which route to go cause something like a convict might kill a great danio.

Funny you mentioned convicts. I was thinking about getting one maybe two.

Back
Top Bottom