Red shoulder or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Peacock keeper asked me what this was, and I told him a Red shoulder. But when I googled red shoulder the fish didn't look the same. The red shoulders I saw had a white tipped dorsal, while mine is orange. Also the red shoulders I saw were royal blue, while this one is a darker neon. Also the red spangles run through the whole fish, it's deepest on the shoulder, but also is very visible in the tail.
I'm thinking it really is a red shoulder, just looks a little different from those on google, or maybe it is a hybrid.
Looking to see what you think, red shoulder, hybrid, or something else?

He came out of a tank of mixed peacocks, not hybrids, but mixed species, lots of OB's, strawberries, and others. I'm thinking a few hybrids actually. Anyway here you go; thanks in advance.

Red Shoulder? - YouTube

Looks like one to me, Just not the dominate (or in breeding colors) in the tank so he isn't as colorful as the ones on google

Ah ha, that makes sense. I have a big blue fryeri who is the dominate right now. Keeps my lwanda completely colored down :(

He's still small there's definitely going to be some jockeying over positions here in the next few months. I have a Fusco that I expect to overtake the fryeri in about 6 months.
I put the lwanda in my QT for a few days just to see if it was a good strain and he colored up really good.

The funny thing is I was asking because I thought he looked a lot like mine. I bought it as an Eureka red but he is low in the pecking order so I was trying to confirm it was really an eureka. Yours looks like it has more red showing than mine but mine was showing more red when I got him so I'm guessing I will just have to wait until he grows some more.

Part of that could be my lighting I run 2 modular LED colormax bulbs ( red LEDS) that bring out the colors, red especially.

I was also adjusting the temperature, which is why the heater is right in the middle, normally it's shoved down behind the rocks, but I had it out to make those micro adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom