red tailed black shark with firemouth and barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiltrip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 37 Gallon tank. Currently with one Firemouth, 4 Tiger Barbs, and 2 Rosy Barbs. I am thinking of adding a red tailed black shark. can anyone forsee any problems? i would imagine the only potential problem is between the shark and the firemouth. my firemouth keeps to himself, but he definitely is the king of the tank. would the shark try to take over eventually and cause a conflict, or could they peacefully co-exist.

- Kip

It's always hard to say. There's no right or wrong answer as sometimes it works, others it doesn't.

For the best chance for it to work, I would add 4 more Tiger Barbs so they don't nip at anyone else, especially the newcomer, and are schooling with each other and ignore anything else.

Red Tail Sharks are usually just aggressive towards each other, but there are also instances where they chase others away from their territory.

i would switch up all the decorations when the red tailed shark arrived-it would force the firemouth to re-establish its territorie or at least confuse it for a little bit. i would also add the tigers and the shark at the same time to minimize stress on each, also i would get a shark that is about the same size of the firemouth- wich is too bad as the adult sharks are more aggresive- but also able to defend a territory better. i think the situation would grow stable after each established it's own turf.

Back
Top Bottom