Red terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karahrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a red terror and he/she has a dark grey coloration now. It's about 3.5-4" when should I be seeing it change

There are a few different fish called the red terror. Can you take a pic?

If its a festae they get quite large in no time

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long ago was it purchased?
Can you get a picture of the fish?
Is this a Mayan or a Festae (true red terror)?
What's the tanks size?
What's the tank's stock list?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry the picture is a bit blurry but yes a festae for sure we just got him yesterday. Put him into a 55 established tank. He's with 2 jack demps, ob peacock, elec. Blue peacock, acei, bumblebee, autratus, sunshine female, jacobfreiberg peacock, pundamilia red flank, hansbaenschi, cobalt blue zebra, haplochromis "day glow fulu", and 3 African frogs. I know many people try and stay away from mixed tanks but ours is workinG splendidly. The tank has been flourishing for almost a year. We're going to get the festae his own tank soon since he'll grow too large for everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1412348324099.jpg
    1412348324099.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 85
That's a exCichlasoma urophthalmus aka Mayan Cichlid/False Red Terror not a Festae.

Mayan for sure. Either way, once it settles in, prepare for hell

Thank you for shedding some light on this guy. Will he change color or keep his grey? Pet store need to get there fish straight instead of selling people something they don't want. Overall he's still a wonderful specimen and a lovely fish but I did have my heart on a red terror.

Thank you for shedding some light on this guy. Will he change color or keep his grey? Pet store need to get there fish straight instead of selling people something they don't want. Overall he's still a wonderful specimen and a lovely fish but I did have my heart on a red terror.

Not really, the grey/dusky colorations is one of the "trade marks" of the Mayan over the Festae. That and a full tail spot vs a half. They are still beautiful fish though.

Female
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412351660.080520.jpg

Male
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412351677.545142.jpg

This is one of the many reasons that many of use scientific names instead of trade names. Calling urophthalmus a "Red Terror" isn't really wrong. Calling it a festae is.

That being said, how sophisticated is the store where you got him from? Many of the stores simply buy off a list and the label on the tank matches whatever was on the list(Which is often wrong). Over the years I have learned that if I want a specific fish I either need to learn how to identify it myself or buy from a highly trusted source who does know how to identify it.

Just to make sure, you do realize festae require at minimum a 75 gallon to themselves and are HIGHLY aggressive, one of the top 10 most aggressive species. Putting one of any size into a 55 with fish in there is asking for trouble. A member that used to frequent this forum had his female kill multiple males and basically any fish he tried to add to the tank, which was a 125 if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't add the Dempsey to that tank, let alone a festae or a mayan.

. A member that used to frequent this forum had his female kill multiple males and basically any fish he tried to add to the tank, which was a 125 if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't add the Dempsey to that tank, let alone a festae or a mayan.

She was in a 150g.

27198-albums1492-picture38284.jpg

She was in a 150g.

27198-albums1492-picture38284.jpg

Every time I see this picture I feel like a kid that just saw a commercial for a new shiny toy and just have to have it now.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom