Red Texas cichlid or Flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found this little guy swimming in the Jack Dempsey tank at Petsmart. Obviously not a Jack. I
thought it might be a Red Texas cichlid, so I bought it for cheap. I've been so lucky lately stumbling into great fish deals. When I got home I compared it to my female Red Texas cichlid, now I'm not so sure. Maybe a Flowerhorn. Either way I win, just wanted other opinions.
The new guy is 2 1/2 inches long. The second photo is my 5" female Red Texas.

Attachments

• 20171210_181427.jpg
    20171210_181427.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 20171209_213553.jpg
    20171209_213553.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 179
I'm leaning that way too Bandit. I tried to get a better pic, but he is hyper active. Quite a personality. Truly a beautiful fish, blue & red markings. Surprising that a small town Petsmart would have one of these.

Keith {tunamanphd] just got one yesterday from a small country pet store !
Cheap and likely the owner had no clue or I think it is possible these are easy to breed fish and the market is literally starting to flood with them.
They are good looking fish. His looked very similar to yours.
Are you keeping it in community tank or alone as a wet pet?
I have only seen them isolated as wet pets..Their personality is out of control !

He is currently in my 65 gal. QT / grow out tank along with juvenile Firemouths, Salvini and a school of Buenos Aires Tetras. So far he is only agressive when being fed. I've seen YouTubes
where FH' s were fine in a community tank with other rowdy cichlids and dithers, and others where they are solo. I plan on putting him in my 120, with the pictured female Red Texas, a female Salvini, and a couple of Firemouths. Dithers will be a school of extra large Buenos Aires Tetras and a few Silver Dollars. I'll have to see how it goes.
Glad to hear that your Ick treatment is going well. Coppersafe has evidently taken care of my Oodinium infestation. Haven't had to medicate a tank in over 20 yrs. Going to keep a low level therapeutic dose in both tanks for a couple of more weeks.

After a few hours of research, I believe the new cichlid is a Green Texas Carpintus x Flowerhorn cross, resulting in a variety of Red Texas cichlid. He has the pronounced spotting pattern of the Trimac Cichlid and pinkish red coloration of the Red Devil Cichlid, genetic traits present in Flowerhorns. My pictured 5" Red Texas looks to be the variety, which crosses a Green Texas Carpintus male and Blood Parrot female. I read that the Red Texas is really a second generation Flowerhorn, one that breeders haven't quite perfected a standard method for uniform results. Either way a very awesome and usually expensive fish. Note: my wife advised that I have too much time on my hands.:)

Attachments

• 20171217_124319.jpg
    20171217_124319.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20171217_085909.jpg
    20171217_085909.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom