red zebra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thiel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright i have a full grown red zebra about 6" he is the dominant one in the tank eve tho i have a male frotosa about 9" big. I brought new fish home yesterday, rearrange the whole tank and pit yhe fish in. One fish is being pick on by the red zebra like continues to chave him all day. There r nit being close to b the similar species or color. Idk what to do i know aggression is going to be there but in2 days one fish is gonna die and is not going to be the zebra. Plx help i added ceramic cups and more plants to avoid chasing but nothing

Due to the territorial nature of mbuna's, it's better if new fish are added in groups rather one or two at a time. Multiple new fish add multiple distractions which usually spread out the aggression that may be directed toward them. A single fish added to an establish tank becomes the sole focus of the aggression (sometimes from multiple established tank mates).

What species is this new fish?

Recommendation: acquire 3 more mbuna's, remove the new fish and then adding all four to the tank (ideally after spending some time in a quarantine tank). Avoid adding full grown males to your aquarium.

It's not surprising the red zebra is dominant over the larger frontosa (slow swimming near-lethargic frontosa's can be intimidated by active fast swimming fish such as mbuna's and also easily outclassed by them aggression-wise). Frontosa's and mbuna's are typically not compatible.

Back
Top Bottom