Red zebra - Does this look like bloat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just noticed my red zebra is looking a little bit more plump than normal. I keep him on a diet of hikari pellets and algea crisps. I typically feed him for about 3 minutes once a day. Should I skip a feeding or two?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110411_005408.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110411_005408.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 131
  • ForumRunner_20110411_005425.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110411_005425.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 121
Just noticed my red zebra is looking a little bit more plump than normal. I keep him on a diet of hikari pellets and algea crisps. I typically feed him for about 3 minutes once a day. Should I skip a feeding or two?

It's hard to tell from that angle if your RZ has bloat or not. Skipping a feeding or 2 won't hurt it either way.
If you can try to get another picture from a different direction, if you can.

If the fish is eating it's not bloat. Fish with bloat rarely show physical signs like swollen stomachs, what you would be looking for is stringy white feces, reclusive behavior, and lack of appetite(they will grab and spit food or simply hide during feeding time). Feeding for 3 minutes a day seems like alot, I feed all my tanks for 60-90 seconds tops with Sunday's being skipped to aid in digestion.

HUKIT said:
If the fish is eating it's not bloat. Fish with bloat rarely show physical signs like swollen stomachs, what you would be looking for is stringy white feces, reclusive behavior, and lack of appetite(they will grab and spit food or simply hide during feeding time). Feeding for 3 minutes a day seems like alot, I feed all my tanks for 60-90 seconds tops with Sunday's being skipped to aid in digestion.

Ah ok, so he literally is just getting fat. lol. Ill skip a feeding or two and start reducing how long I feed.

Ah ok, so he literally is just getting fat. lol. Ill skip a feeding or two and start reducing how long I feed.

I agree he's just chubby, maybe try weight watchers(kidding of course). Excel is good, a perfect choice if you prefer Hikari. I would just cut back a little and give them a day off. Fish are much better off being slightly underfed as opposed to overfeeding. Feeding is a art form in my opinion and will continue to change during the life of the fish.

Back
Top Bottom