releasing convict fry into the rest of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldshell4481

Aquarium Advice Activist
im getting sick of having a divider in my tank, and i think my convict parents are getting stressed being around all their kids. so i am pondering whether or not to release the fry into the rest of my tank(55gal) i have a 3-4 inch blood parrot, 2 small rosy barbs, 1 4-5 inch Pleco, and 2 other small female convicts. i know the tank may be crowded but i cant find enough people to take my baby con's off my hands. also is the blood parrot able to go in with my 2 small oscars (3-4 inch)???? Thanks

yeah the bp should be fine just make sure there cover for him to hide.how big are the fry if there real small and you want to keep them i wouldnt take it down.but if you do want to get rid of them take it down.depends on how big the fry are if the others will eat them.

I think you can go ahead and release them, assuming there is plenty of rockwork or other places for them to get cover. They are remarkably tough. Also you can only save so many fry before you have a real population problem, so you may want to just skip the divider next time and let nature take its course, and only the very strongest will survive.

thats what i was thinking about next time, also my mother con had'nt shown her face for a few days and i just found her floating (eww) she was awfully young, to have died i dont know if the male killed her or what but she was pretty nasty looking. i took the divider out about 2 days ago and so far so good the babys venture out and about. the male also has 2 other females who seem to like him alot :wink: so i think more breeding may occur NO DIVIDER THIS TIME, lol.

Back
Top Bottom