relocation of a large cichlid, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elisabeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My son has a large (about 5 inches long) bight yellow cichlid. He has been alone in a 20 gallon tank for at least the last 3 years. He is active and healthy, but I want to move him to a much larger tank to improve his quality of life.

I work in a medical office that has two large tanks. One is about 6 feet long and 3 feet deep. It contains cichlids, most about 2 inches long, a few about 3-4 inches long, and also some tetras, which are about 1.5 inches long. None of the fish are as big as mine. This tank has many rocky crevices for the fish to use.The other tank is massive, the size of a small room. It has quite a few big cichlids and several turtles. It is about 2 feet deep and has rocks that jut out for the turtles to sun themselves under lights.

My concern with putting him in the bigger tank is that he would possibly be a victim of aggression, or overwhelmed by the sudden presence of some many other big cichlids. However, I also worry that if I put him in the smaller tank he may be overly aggressive towards the smaller cichlids, and possibly try to eat the tetras.

I would appreciate opinions as to which tank would be best given his size and the fact that nearly his whole life has been spent alone, and also any tips on the best method of moving him. The drive from home to work is about 40 minutes. Thanks!

If I were you I wouldn't put him in the community tank at your work. I would get a new very large tank (55 gallons or more) and put him in there with other cichlids.

Yours sounds like a yellow lab and would do great with other cichlids. Make sure it would be an African cichlid tank if you do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depends what fish it is... It could be African or SA/CA (more than likely it wouldn't be an SA) and te environment it need to survive changes a lot depending on what it is... If you could post a pic then people could identify it and give a proper answer.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

pic of "Roj"

I'm really hoping for another option besides purchasing a 55 gallon tank and more cichlids :(

Attachments

• IMG_ROG.jpg
    IMG_ROG.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
the really big tank at work

here is a pic of the really large tank

Attachments

• fish tank size.jpg
    fish tank size.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 80
I'm really hoping for another option besides purchasing a 55 gallon tank and more cichlids :(

That's an mbuna very nice looking one at that! But it could kill anything in that big tank I also see a turtle that really shouldn't be in there. If any fish becomes sick and can't swim well than its dinner for the turtle, I'm just saying from experience I've seen it happen.but if it works it works ya know.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On another thought if the turtles were not in there and you have many cichlids it may work but I don't see the whole scope of the tank.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You said the large tank was a community? It seems to be cichlids to me... Im not sure on the conpatibility of them al but those, and yours, are Africans...

Also, i advise against the Turtles for various reasons. Im not sure if the tank is yours or someone else's at your work, but if you are able to convince them to take them out it would be for the better. I can elaborate if you want...

Also it would be nice to get a list of the fish in the bigger tank if you can.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Hi. Can't quite tell from the picture if its a Labidochromis caeruleus (electric yellow lab) or a Metriaclima estherae (red zebra cichlid) but I'm certain its one of the two. Its an African from lake Malawi which looks like exactly what's in the big tank so I think he should be fine with them. I think he is big enough to hold his own.

Back
Top Bottom