Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so I just found my Pleco dead and don't want to get a new one. Instead I want a Cichlid that will go with my

Acei
Peacock
Yellow Lab
Demonsi

Aquarist1234 said:
Okay, so I just found my Pleco dead and don't want to get a new one. Instead I want a Cichlid that will go with my

Acei
Peacock
Yellow Lab
Demonsi

Sorry for your loss. What about a nice Synodontis catfish? A nice bottom dweller. Or maybe a featherfin?

Convict2161 said:
Sorry for your loss. What about a nice Synodontis catfish? A nice bottom dweller. Or maybe a featherfin?

Thanks, and thanks for your suggestions, but I'm trying to stay away from catfish. Their separate diet is difficult to stay on top of, and my cichlids react oddly to the food. Any Cichlid suggestions?

Aquarist1234 said:
Thanks, and thanks for your suggestions, but I'm trying to stay away from catfish. Their separate diet is difficult to stay on top of, and my cichlids react oddly to the food. Any Cichlid suggestions?

How many of each do you have? Also just a side note my syno just eats left over food I feed my Africans. I love the this guy.

image-989947395.jpg

Maybe try some Cobalt Blues (Metriaclima Callainos) or Pseudotropheus Socolofi (Snow White).I think some albinos would add some contrast. Again this is JMO.

Or a German Red peacock or a Flametail peacock, it has orange and blues in it.

Just some that come to mind. Yellow labs are mostly peaceful or less aggressive for the most part. I have a huge mix in my 75g. I just love my Moorri's.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Maybe try some Cobalt Blues (Metriaclima Callainos) or Pseudotropheus Socolofi (Snow White).I think some albinos would add some contrast. Again this is JMO.

Or a German Red peacock or a Flametail peacock, it has orange and blues in it.

Just some that come to mind. Yellow labs are mostly peaceful or less aggressive for the most part. I have a huge mix in my 75g. I just love my Moorri's.

I have 1 of each, and they're all juvies I do like albinos, I'll try to find some of the fish you mentioned, thank you:)

Convict2161 said:

Convict, do you have mooris with mbuna? How do they do? I so want one of those, if I could pull it off in my tank I totally would.

christine2012 said:
Convict, do you have mooris with mbuna? How do they do? I so want one of those, if I could pull it off in my tank I totally would.

Yes I have 3 with in my tank. However I have a thread going right now. I've lost a handful of fish in the past 2 weeks. I think it's just aggression, I spoke to my buddy from the fish store who's very knowledgeable and he said its probably because it's overstocked and the weaker ones, the ones lower on the totem pole are being killed. But my Moorii's are all fine.

Convict2161 said:
Yes I have 3 with in my tank. However I have a thread going right now. I've lost a handful of fish in the past 2 weeks. I think it's just aggression, I spoke to my buddy from the fish store who's very knowledgeable and he said its probably because it's overstocked and the weaker ones, the ones lower on the totem pole are being killed. But my Moorii's are all fine.

Whoops! Thought this was your thread. Guess I need more coffee! Sorry aquarist1234!

Convict2161 said:
How many of each do you have? Also just a side note my syno just eats left over food I feed my Africans. I love the this guy.

+1. I have 3 Synodontis Multipunctatus in my tanks and they don't need different food, though I do toss pieces of algae wafers in there from time to time as a treat. They do an amazing job at finding any of the pellets that got lucky enough to make it to the bottom of the tanks. You will need to be careful with them if you get multiple and are breeding Cichlids since they are parasite brooders (lay their eggs in with Cichlid eggs and the fry get eaten).

Aquarist1234 said:
Acei
Peacock
Yellow Lab
Demonsi

Aquarist1234 said:

Some advice. Take it or leave it.

Acei gets up to 6" which is too large for a 37 gallon.
Most Peacocks get about 5" or so, the rest get even larger. All get to big for a 37 gallon.
Yellow Lab gets 5". You could probably get away with it, but it really should have a larger tank.
(Midnight) Demasoni get 2.5" now THAT is the right size to have in a 37 gallon. However, they are quite aggressive with other Dems' though.

General rule of thumb, for standard "long" tanks, take the capacity/10 and that is your max length of fish. So really 3.5"-4" max size.

Dwarf Cichlids would really be more appropriate for this size of tank. It would make a great Shell-Dweller tank.

Back
Top Bottom