Replacing bottom feeder for 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I killed my Golden Chinese algae eater today. Unknowingly took him out of the tank.
It's an all male Malawi 55 gallon.
I was thinking of getting a thread fin, a cuckoo cat, or some other good malawi mate.
The Algae eater was too territorial for this tank anyway.

Any advice on these, how big do they get? Any others worth looking into to. I may just leave it. I've gotten rid of every other non African from this tank.

But an appropriate match would be nice.
I'm leaning towards a cuckoo, but don't know how big they get.

Well I killed my Golden Chinese algae eater today. Unknowingly took him out of the tank.
It's an all male Malawi 55 gallon.
I was thinking of getting a thread fin, a cuckoo cat, or some other good malawi mate.
The Algae eater was too territorial for this tank anyway.

Any advice on these, how big do they get? Any others worth looking into to. I may just leave it. I've gotten rid of every other non African from this tank.

But an appropriate match would be nice.
I'm leaning towards a cuckoo, but don't know how big they get.

Have a friend that keeps a feather fin cat fish with his african cichlids... I think they get like 8-10 inches.

IMO synodontis petricola (adults, babies are tiny) or multifasciatus might be a bitter fit. They are smaller species and would do better long term in a 55 than eupterus (featherfin squeaker)

I just saw a national geographic on synodotis and how they breed! Crazy!!!

I'm think I'm just going to wait. Might get a rainbow shark or something.

I found an adult Rainbow Shark but I'm scared to put him in. My cichlids are getting big. The shark is still in quarantine, but I don't see a transfer that doesn't result in some nicked fins at least.
Great looking shark though.
I've really come to love Rainbow sharks, it' the first fish I ever bought.

How are they with algae, since I lost my algae eater, I just noticed today I am starting to get brown algae growth. I know it's not lighting or nitrates, thinking it is from silicates in my tap water. Not sure if I want to get another algae eater, or just some phosphoguard

Back
Top Bottom