Rethinking Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
After many failed attempts to find a certain Cichlid, I decided to give up on the idea of them. Well that is until I found the Cleithracara maronii. As many will know, I am not a Cichlid keeper and don't know my left shoe from my right when it comes to them. Can anyone give me information on the Cleithracara maronii? I've read profile after profile and each one is different. What tank size do they require? How aggressive are they? How big will they get? Thanks in advance!

Cleithracara maronii, the Keyhole Cichlid
Origin: Orinoco river (and a few others)
Adult size: 4-6"
Minimum tank size: 30 gallon for a pair
Decor: Prefer planted, with plenty places to hide
Water parameters: soft and acidic, like most south american species
Breeding habits: Monogamous pair
Temperment: Extremely peaceful
Conspecific Temperment: Extremely peaceful
Breeding temperment: Peaceful

All in all, these are on of my FAVORITE cichlids, they're just so easy going and passive. Their behavior sets them apart from most other cichlids, and due to their lack of color, they are often overlooked by many. Great species as a centerpiece to a 30-40 gallon planted, or as an accent cichlid in a larger community tank

I have two of them and they are one of my favorite fish. They are in a 60 with other cichlids. They like to stick together as buddies (both males). As Freakgecko said they are often looked over but better for us who see the true beauty to grab them. Here is a pic of one.

image-3114005501.jpg

Hmm... Well currently I have a 29G that is established, will that work for a pair? There isn't anything in the tank except for a S. Multipunctata.

A 29 should work, a bit tall though, what is the footprint's dimensions?

And are you talking about the synodontis catfish? or i think there's a livebearer with that name?

It should be ok, just keep an eye on the syno, make sure there's plenty of places to hide

I'd ad a small school of tetra too, just to make the keyholes feel as comfortable as possible, maybe a half dozen cardinal?

Its a planted tank with driftwood for the catfish to hide in so hiding places shouldn't be an issue. The Multipunctata is very peaceful as well. Adding the Tetras won't overstock it?

Its a planted tank with driftwood for the catfish to hide in so hiding places shouldn't be an issue. The Multipunctata is very peaceful as well. Adding the Tetras won't overstock it?

No. The tetras have a very small bioload. Whats your filtration?

Nothing special with filtration just a hob

Well as long as it is rated for the tank then your good. If you do 6 cardinal tetras the 2 key holes and the cat that should be great. Tank is actually understocked and you could add maybe 10 total tetras

As long as you do your weekly water change, it shouldn't be an issue with a small bodied fish like a cardinal. They will just help the keyholes feel safe, making them come out more. They can be left out, i just feel that dithers really help the peaceful cichlids to be more outgoing :) plus, their presence has been shown to help with cichlid breeding, as it keeps the parents diligent and protective.

I was cursed with two males for my first two, so I'm not positive on the breeding aspect unfortunately. I have heard that they are quite tame when spawning, unlike most other cichlids

Well for sure not looking to spawn them but was wondering just in case. Mainly I just didn't want to get a pair and end up with a spawning frenzy mess like convicts enjoy doing. So I guess it would be safe to assume that a same sex pair would be alright? No aggression with the two males together?

Well for sure not looking to spawn them but was wondering just in case. Mainly I just didn't want to get a pair and end up with a spawning frenzy mess like convicts enjoy doing. So I guess it would be safe to assume that a same sex pair would be alright? No aggression with the two males together?

You are correct, zero conspecific aggression. If they do spawn, they're still gonna be peaceful and not spawn like rabbits like convicts do lol

Back
Top Bottom