Ripped fins...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djbrefik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Probably a dumb question, buuuuut...one of my peacocks has a piece missing from his dorsal fin. I think this is from an altercation with Incognito (mbuna). I ha e 2 mbuna and theyre both gone as soon as my lfs has room for them. Maybe sooner.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry. Will the fin grow back or always be like that?

The fin should grow back just fine, keep the water clean clean and feed good food!

@ Freakgecko91...ha ha ha ha hu. I think my actual question made it up before your post. Thanks Brookster123

It will grow back in a week or two it's normal among cichlids as long as it doesn't get too bad he should be fine. There is almost always 1 or 2 of mine who have a little fin nip if it gets bad though get him out if possible to heal up. And I don't doubt it was the mbuna. I removed mine and put them in their own tank because I was sick of them nipping my peacocks.

Unfortunately its been that way for several months. Looks like hes stuck with it. Those mbunas wont make it into the 125 that im cycling now. Thankss

Thanks TCC. Hope youre right.

Melafix will help the fins grow back faster. Nipped fins happen. It's irritating. I have had several times where as soon as the fin is finished healing it gets nipped again. Maintain good water quality though because damaged fins can lead to fungal/bacterial infections.

Thanks. Ill look into Melafix.

Thanks. Ill look into Melafix.

It says to remove activated carbon, and if you were treating for bacterial disease id say 100% do it. But I have used Melafix with carbon for fins. It still has an effect, just not as good. Up to you.

Back
Top Bottom