Rock scaping vs tank weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tank is awesome, that red lava rock is really cool.
Am I able to use a type of glue to secure my rocks together and prevent them from falling? Idk if that's a dumb question or not but I'd rather ask so I'm not on a different thread asking why my fish are messed up o_O

I was thinking about glueing my rocks too, not worth it. Just stack them so there stable, the fish won't knock them over. But you need to be able to move the rocks, incase you have to get to a sick, or pregnant fish that is hiding, or over aggression, and need to re arrange the territory.

Im in the process of setting up my 150 gallon. I found a ton of slate shingles in the woods and planned on gluing them. After alot of reading im just stacking and arranging them so theyre stable.I know I will want a different look over time and I want the option of changing the rocks as well! Good luck with your tank (my husband is setting up the refugium. But im also on my own with the scaping) :)

Mind you that 10g tank is very short which adds to the strength of the glass, as the tank gets longer there will be more give, which is why thicker glass is used.

The great thing about tempered glass is unless you hit it on the side it is very very verrrrrrry srong.

Case and point I lost a 20$ bet when I started a old job of mine. I threw a 5lb hammer to the dead center of a very large piece of tempered glass. It bounced about 20 feet back at me. I tapped it with very little effort on the top corner... And well... Spent the next hour cleaning up.

Attachments

• image-1432884552.jpg
    image-1432884552.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 74
Aski247- omg @ that pic lol I had a similar situation when moving out of an apartment cleaning out the cupboard above the oven- a bottle fell and slightly hit the corner of the oven door and it literally shattered instantly into almost a sugar like grain O.O
Also back when I had a starter 10gallon tank, we rinsed it in the bathtub and the corner just barely laid on the water stopper and cracked a hole in the bottom in a matter of seconds. Only great thing about that was being able to upgrade to a larger tank that day with no arguments since we needed a tank ASAP and I was the one to run out and buy it quick lol

Haha yeah. Tempered is great. Until ya have to clean up broked tempered...

Cool thing is I'm still drinking buddies with a old coworker so I get my dividers and glass tops for free if not dirt cheap. My old supervisor just makes me cut them myself. Best part of it is, I don't have to sand/polish I use the machine ;) and they always have spare shower/cabinet handles. So my tops are always classy haha!

My bf works in a glass shop & he's always cautious about the weight on the bottom when were moving an empty tank full of wet gravel. But I have him make me dividers & such at work. It is handy.

Back
Top Bottom