Rocks for cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want some rocks (a lot to stack up I guess maybe live ? No experience with them ) I'm wondering where to get some for my Malawi cichlid tank since they like it rocky. What does you African cichlid tank look like? My 55G doesn't look good right now. Just started it and got 3 yellow labs suppose to get some more soon!

i got my rocks from lowes
it was $6 for a huge slab of it. i broke it and that was all i needed.
type in m40a3forlife42 on youtube and go to my videos and click on the video that says african cichlid aquarium. you can see what the rock looks like and see my fish tank at the same time lol

gman42 said:
i got my rocks from lowes
it was $6 for a huge slab of it. i broke it and that was all i needed.
type in m40a3forlife42 on youtube and go to my videos and click on the video that says african cichlid aquarium. you can see what the rock looks like and see my fish tank at the same time lol

Thanks I saw that nice tank BTW . I might do that anyone else?

Try and set everything up before getting more fish. 55g isn't a lot of room for them to find a safe haven away from your hands and arms. Lots of stress, especially if there isn't already hiding spots.

I like finding my own rocks/driftwood too. Just go on a hike or something.

I use lace rock. Picture below.

48287-albums2638-picture17316.jpg

Fishie said:
I want some rocks (a lot to stack up I guess maybe live ? No experience with them ) I'm wondering where to get some for my Malawi cichlid tank since they like it rocky. What does you African cichlid tank look like? My 55G doesn't look good right now. Just started it and got 3 yellow labs suppose to get some more soon!

There's live rock for freshwater fish too??

I dont know anything about live rock. Didn't know it was for saltwater. I guess I could go look for rocks on a hike. Thanks for the pic of your tank :) ideas I might all do

Convict2161 said:
I went with a mix of real rocks to make tunnels and caves then the rest I used Cichlid stones.

Adore your tank!!! The rocks have little cubbies for cichlids!! Someone said something about moonlight lighting for cichlid tank. Do you all have any ( or just normal or what?) I want my rocks stacked like yours trying to plan out tank!

I like it! Where did you get it??

I picked it up at my LFS. Its called Lace Rock you should be able to find it at a LFS near you.

It stacks well. I can do like 3 different combo stacks when I do it. Before buying i just stack rocks in the store and see what looks bests.

If you have sand just make sure your bottom rocks that you are stacking on have a good base. Cichlids will try to dig under them. If they are not secure the whole stack falls.

I had the one on the left highest rock fall off and hit the glass. Luckily no damage to tank.

Back
Top Bottom