Rocks from creek in African Cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GivenToFly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just picked these up from a local park and was hoping to build some caves out of them. So far I let them soak over night and scrubbed them a bit.

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 99
They should be fine but a decent test is pour a little vinegar on the rock and see if it has any reaction. If not its should be good

garfy said:
Boil them is always a good idea

Not always. Depending on the rock if there are any voids/air pockets inside the rock it could explode....

Yea, I read boiling may be dangerous.

Doesn't the vinegar test only indicate they will raise the pH, which in this case is desirable?

Well yes and no.... Some rocks could release other things too so the less reaction the more inert the rock

Ok, thank you.

I think I'm going to start building some caves with them and get my tank filled up to begin cycling.

Is there anything in say a week, that would indicate the rocks are causing any bad water conditions?

Watch for bubbling from the rocks, discoloration of the water, or excessive flashing from the fish.

Boil it all the rocks in my tank came from a river and I had it in for a year nothing happens but its not 100% garanteed just gotta wing it

Rocks such as limestone can contain CaCO3 which can cause the Ph in the water to rise, CaCO3 is an alkali compound which acts as a neutralizer to the acid (vinegar), when an acid is poured on the rock the calcium carbonate neutralizes the acid therefore making it bubble.

It is never a good idea to boil rocks, they can contain pockets that can cause trapped air to expand and explode. Take the rock and scrub it real good (no soaps). Put it in a tub and full the tub with very hot water to kill off unwanted bacteria.
Always monitor your levels in your tank after introducing any thing new into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom