rocks safe or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidheaven

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I went to buy round river rocks at this pricey ownd shop that sales rocks like for land scaping and garden the store stores and displays the rocks out side exposed to ling time elements and animals if I boils the rocks would they be safe for my tank I mean I got rocks from a river and they turn out great just a little iffy bout thease lol thanks

I would wash them good by dumping boiling water.on them a few times and scrubbing them with a new brush. Boiling rocks can be.very dangerous

I used rock from a Rock Yard type of sales. Very cheap in comparison and I just poured hot water and scrubbed them really good. they seem to have worked great for me.
I have heard of people boiling them with success but I have heard dangers like Andrew mentioned with them having air pockets and actually bursting. I dunno but did not take the chance.

I only spent 20 bucks for a few hundred lbs of river rock just scrubbed it well with boiled water then soaked them in the bathtub in vinegar water then rinsed them again

Attachments

• image-3447641329.jpg
    image-3447641329.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3362894023.jpg
    image-3362894023.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 85
I only spent 20 bucks for a few hundred lbs of river rock just scrubbed it well with boiled water then soaked them in the bathtub in vinegar water then rinsed them again

You don't even have to go through all that trouble. I've collected rocks in a local river and in the mountains , all I did was scrub them and rise them with hot water. I have these rocks in all my tanks to no ill effect for a year +. The biggest thing is to make sure none of the rocks contain copper which is game over for shrimp and snails

Back
Top Bottom