Rockscaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what is needed to be done to rocks/drift wood taken from nature to prep it for a aquarium? i know somone said they had some stuff from vermont in their tank.

I just bring them in and scrub them really good with hot water to get them clean. I don't glue due to the fact I'd never be able to rearrange if aggression occurs or when adding new members or... Just wanna change up or add to the scenery.

hmmm what about using a little silicone for the base rocks and then just firming the top rocks using sound architecture?.. I mean just putting more of a silicone pocket on the bottom glass for the very bottom rocks only. ah maybe a plan has hatched, thanks folks. :)

so even drift wood just scrub it down with some hot water and scrubby, maybe soak it a bit and your good to go? that sounds way easier and cheaper then buying it, that stuff expensive and i got a house on a lake to grab it for free!

I dont know about driftwood. Sry, missed that. Rocks and slate I scrub with a veggie ( fingernail) brush till clean.

I don't have any on my tanks. I'm GUESSING it would need to be boiled. But I know driftwood leaches tannins into water. Maybe best to throw out a post on it. Thinking it also lowers the ph. Going by what I've read, so please don't take it verbatim on driftwood. Putting a post up would be your best bet, there are lots who do use it.

Island Emt, how long have you had the Egg Crate down and I guess my question is, does it get gunked up with debris and stuff over a long period?

FWIW egg crate seems not to get gunked up so much. I've used it as a complete and incomplete divider for months, but haven't used it as a base although I know a lot of folk do. I imagine with regular gravel/sand vacuuming it might get a little slimy, but not too gross.

Mdawg I've had the egg crate down since set up which is about 6 mos and no problem with it at all. I use sand substrate and most waste stays at the surface. It works great for me.

Isle - are you using the egg crate diffuser grating to prevent the rocks from damaging the bottom of the tank? Just curious.

A couple of things to consider when aquascaping. In natural situations, the substrate and the rocks generally match, since the rock is generally the source of the sand or gravel. Rock found in water tends to be smooth, without sharp edges. My rocks are all rounded and smooth, coming from the shore of Lake Ontario.
You can do whatever pleases you with your own tank, but if you want a natural look, black or red rock don't occur on white sand, and white sand doesn't normally occur in nature, in fresh water (although there are a few spots).

IvanMike said:
Isle - are you using the egg crate diffuser grating to prevent the rocks from damaging the bottom of the tank? Just curious.

Yes that's what I'm doing. My rocks are nice smooth sided river type rocks I Got from local beach.

It looks good with the tan pfs.

a guy from the lfs says he puts a couple of dobs of silicone on his bottom layer rocks to act as little feet to raise it off the glass, then he stacks rocks around and on it.

driftwood: i boiled a bit several times, it doesnt leech as much tanic acid (tannins) as it used to, but i have crushed coral sand substrate so i never have ph fluctuations except at pwc times.

i got another bit of driftwood from the lfs with anubias growing on it, it seems a smoother wood texture and doesnt leech anything.

Back
Top Bottom