Roomy for an Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

My daughter just bought a small red tiger oscar for her 20 g tank. She has a blue cray fish and an arulius barb in there. The oscar is going to a 50 g in a few months. What other fish would like to live with the oscar. She likes green terrors, bala sharks, or colombian sharks.

Wat do you think?

Thank you!

well the oscar should not even be in there now IMO

but anyhow Pictus Cats and Plecos are good

i think a gourmai but i wouldnt count on it

A full grown oscar should have at least a 70g tank to move around comfortably. If you get at least a 75g then maybe you could get a big enough catfish or pleco that the oscar can't fit in it's mouth. Would be best to keep it alone though.
Columbian sharks require brackish-salt water as they get older. They are kept as FW as juveniles but need to have more and more salt as they grow.

it's an old thread, but hey, have a look at my tank inhabitants, they live together happily, untill the day the red zebras can fit into the oscars mouth, believe it or not, i've also kept discus with oscars, balas work well, but mine got eaten

50 gallons is too small for an oscar IMO, a 75 gallon would be much more appropriate given that oscars can grow to 12-14 inches. If you do decide to keep it in the 50 gallon, definitely do not add any other fish, there just won't be enough room.

as long as the oscar isn't more than 2.5" right now, he's ok in the 20. I agree though, that a 75gal is really the best minimum tank size, primarily for the 18" width (instead of 12" on a 55gal) for turning around. Full grown oscars can hit 14", so a 12" wide tank is barely enough room to flip a 180.

Back
Top Bottom