rounding out my African Cichlid stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhit13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Still trying to finalize my stocking im going to do on my 120 mbuna tank. I currently have 20 of them swimming in my 55 waiting for me to get there new home ready. I really want to find a different type of fish to put with them to add a little contrast too. Was def considering the feather fin cat wich I think is a really cool looking fish and sounds interesting. Sounds like they are best kept in groups though and not sure I want to add another 5 or 6 eight inch fish in there. does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with mixing a Red tailed Black shark in with them?

My current mbuna stock is

4 Electric Blue Johanni
4 Yellow Labs
4 Red Zebra
3 yellow tail blue Acei
3 Auratus
2 Red top Zebra

I have a feather fin in my tank. He does fine with the 12 Mbuna sharing the tank. All my fish are close to being full size and they seem to do well together.

I have a feather fin in my tank. He does fine with the 12 Mbuna sharing the tank. All my fish are close to being full size and they seem to do well together.

How big is your featherfin? is he a fun fish to watch or does he stay hidden during the day? How big is your tank?

I have a 55 gallon. He's about 6 or 7 inches. He roams constantly. He chases some of the tank mates off when they get to close to where he has decided to rest. During feeding time he gets right up in the feeding frenzy to make sure he gets fed. He's the second oldest in the tank. Only one older is my alpha bumble bee who is about the same size. They never bother each other.

Few pics of catfish. Sorry it's a little dark, he likes that end of tank.

Last one is a compare shot of the big bumble bee

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410657902.391663.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410657902.391663.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 75
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410657922.168807.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410657922.168807.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410657940.461586.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410657940.461586.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 76
How about an albino of some sort.

People love my Snow Whites.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How about an albino of some sort.

People love my Snow Whites.

I def want to get a couple albinos. Haven't seen any around the lfs around here yet though. You have any pics of your snow whites?

I def want to get a couple albinos. Haven't seen any around the lfs around here yet though. You have any pics of your snow whites?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410768907.510912.jpg

That's one of them, I'll try and get the other three when I get in..

Albino's are definitely the most eye-catching when the lights are on.

I love my Snow White! He's a beauty.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410798356.936065.jpg

It's an mbuna. It's scientific name is pseudotropheus socolofi but it's common name is "Snow White"

It's an mbuna. It's scientific name is pseudotropheus socolofi but it's common name is "Snow White"

Ok I have heard of Socolofi, I think I definitely need to find me a couple around here. Thanks so much for the input. I think they will make an awesome addition to what I already have :)

There is the regular pseudotropheus socolofi which known as a Pindani as well. It's a nice fish. (This is not my photo)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410800894.217550.jpg

There is the regular pseudotropheus socolofi which known as a Pindani as well. It's a nice fish. (This is not my photo)

View attachment 250086

oh yeah he is a beauty. would love to have some of that variety to but I think I read you shouldn't have to many of the same color. I do have three Electric Blue Johanni already in there. Also My Red top zebra are blue as well.

wow thats beautiful :D

is that an albino of another mbuna or is the snowwhite its own separate species?

There's quite a few albino's, Red Zebras, Yellow Labs and Auratus (one of the better ones in my eyes) just to name a few.

There's quite a few albino's, Red Zebras, Yellow Labs and Auratus (one of the better ones in my eyes) just to name a few.

would keeping a few albinos make it more likely for more of the same species to exist in the tank peacefully (mbuna peace anyway) One of the things I am really struggling with is the male to female ratios. I have been told when I buy them (several diff places) that i am buying females, but by there actions I am almost positive a few have been males. Like my johanni, I had two nice ones but they were def at oddsover who got which side of the tank, so I bought two more asking for females specifically and was assured they were. well my new female within a day killed my previous fish...now SHE/HE is on close probation lol

would keeping a few albinos make it more likely for more of the same species to exist in the tank peacefully (mbuna peace anyway) One of the things I am really struggling with is the male to female ratios. I have been told when I buy them (several diff places) that i am buying females, but by there actions I am almost positive a few have been males. Like my johanni, I had two nice ones but they were def at oddsover who got which side of the tank, so I bought two more asking for females specifically and was assured they were. well my new female within a day killed my previous fish...now SHE/HE is on close probation lol

Well if you're wanting to buy specific males or females the best place I'd get them would be from dedicated breeders online. This also means that you'll be paying twice as much.

As far as an LFS goes, they'll never know what sex they're selling, they'll just tell you what you want to hear.

Mbuna are known to cross-breed, my Red Top male chases around my Ndumbi female because they look similar.
There is no reason why Albino's would be any different, saying that, my 4 Snow Whites keep to themselves generally, I haven't vented them yet but I'm definite there is a male/female split.

Well if you're wanting to buy specific males or females the best place I'd get them would be from dedicated breeders online. This also means that you'll be paying twice as much.

As far as an LFS goes, they'll never know what sex they're selling, they'll just tell you what you want to hear.

Mbuna are known to cross-breed, my Red Top male chases around my Ndumbi female because they look similar.
There is no reason why Albino's would be any different, saying that, my 4 Snow Whites keep to themselves generally, I haven't vented them yet but I'm definite there is a male/female split.

Just found two of them at the store by work. If there still there when i get off tonight I'm going to get them.

Back
Top Bottom