Rubberlip for a convict tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a convict tank that I've kind of been neglecting lately. :oops: Anyway, it's now overgrown with algae and I'm too lazy to go in there w/a scraper. Plus, if I buy a pleco, I get another fish. It's a 10 gallon tank that currently houses only one male convict. Will a rubber lip pleco fit in there or will the convict harass him to death? I've heard they'll do fine since they're armored and stay at the bottom of the tank.

maybe a pwc 50%ish? I wouldn't add a tankmate other than maybe cory cats (please intervene if im wrong) to a 10g tank--- is tight quarters and not much room for mistake
than again i wouldnt recommend getting any new additions if the tank is already neglected, maintain the tank first then consider additions- set it up for success and you'll get it.

I would not add cory cats to a convict tank.
I've heard they'll do fine since they're armored and stay at the bottom of the tank.
Some do fine and some get eaten--usually large common plecos due best and rubber lips are little guys. My plecos, ranging from little ones to a large common, are all over the tanks; one chronically hides, but I can count on seeing the others everyday during feeding time or just hanging out on the glass.
Due to the messy nature of both convicts and plecos, I will not recommend this pairing. Best to just scrap the algae and vacuum it out of the tank. It's only a 10 gal and if the alga is on the glass, I'll bet it scraps off in sheets very easily. I had let a tank go and when I finally got around to cleaning it, I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Plus, I had no idea I would get help!
KP_algae3.JPG

He ate it all!

Menagerie said:
I would not add cory cats to a convict tank.
I've heard they'll do fine since they're armored and stay at the bottom of the tank.
Some do fine and some get eaten--usually large common plecos due best and rubber lips are little guys. My plecos, ranging from little ones to a large common, are all over the tanks; one chronically hides, but I can count on seeing the others everyday during feeding time or just hanging out on the glass.
Due to the messy nature of both convicts and plecos, I will not recommend this pairing. Best to just scrap the algae and vacuum it out of the tank. It's only a 10 gal and if the alga is on the glass, I'll bet it scraps off in sheets very easily. I had let a tank go and when I finally got around to cleaning it, I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Plus, I had no idea I would get help!
KP_algae3.JPG

He ate it all!

Ok. Maybe I'll move the rubberlip in with the swordtails and the betta.

im not familar with convicts, (there the zebra looking ones) but a few snails will devestate the algae, when i had gotten 2 plecos for an incredibly algae grown goldfish tank, the plecos were very happy, but barely made an impact, the tank had to be cleaned by hand

but buying another pet solves one problem, but creates another

I have two plecos in a tank that includes convicts and other cichlids and have not had a single problem. I did have some cories in there, but the convicts killed them very quickly. I'm not sure why.

In the wild, plecos live with some very large and very aggressive species. There are types of catfish that can reach 100kgs, a warmwater salmanoid that is very aggressive, piranhas, insanely large freshwater stingrays, etc. They are able to survive and defend themselves there.

The only problem is that a 10G is just a boxing ring for a convict.

hc8719 said:
im not familar with convicts, (there the zebra looking ones) but a few snails will devestate the algae, when i had gotten 2 plecos for an incredibly algae grown goldfish tank, the plecos were very happy, but barely made an impact, the tank had to be cleaned by hand

but buying another pet solves one problem, but creates another

Snails will do the job, but a convict will devastate the snails. I feed snails to mine since I have so many of them in another tank.

In the wild, plecos live with some very large and very aggressive species. There are types of catfish that can reach 100kgs, a warmwater salmanoid that is very aggressive, piranhas, insanely large freshwater stingrays, etc. They are able to survive and defend themselves there.
I agree that you will find some plecos with some aggressive species, but rubber lips are not part of that and the "boxing ring" analogy is true!

Yeah, my cons are with fry in my 90G and they take up, and defend aggressively (as some fish have found) about a cube of 14". No one comes into that sphere without risking a spat with mom or dad. Mind you, I have found they become less and less aggressive as the fry get bigger.

My plecos wander about wherever but the cons don't even seem to see them. As for the cories, the cons attacked them when they came near the cave they claimed and took out their eyes. It was really sad. Things were fine for a while and then...one day....bang! I had three blind cories.

In a 10G.....well, in the adapted wise words of Mr. T: "I pity the poor fool who's in a small tank with a convict". You would have to put something in the tank that would be an even match for the convict.....hmmmm......let's see....how about a 10" oscar?

Seriously, they can be pretty nastly little fish...but so cute to watch. I'm lucky to have the space for a big tank, so it gives everyone plenty of room to share. Otherwise I would end up with UFFC (Ultimate Fishy Fighting Championship).

In my normally useless opinion, you would be best to clean the tank. If you had a 25-30G, then a spawning pair would be awesome. I find it fascinating to watch the courtship and them raising the fry: how they defend them, herd them, etc. I'm not as lucky, or as experienced, as some other people on this board who raise rams and other cichlids. Until I can reach that, I'll stick with my cons :)

Back
Top Bottom