Rules on Switching Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i just got a new tank, and i was planning on selling my other tank... i wanted to take the filter from my existing tank and use it on my new tank, and take an old filter in throw it in my existing tank...

is there a procedure or rules to changing or switching filters... basically taking an establised filter to an unestablished tank and throwing an old filter in an established tank...

Transferring the filter from the old tank will basically seed the new tank, but what about the old tank will there still be fish? With a old non-seeded filter the old tank it will need to cycle again or am I missing something?

yea thats basically my only question, i new the established filter would only help the new tank but putting an old filter in an established tank would only hurt the fish that would still be in it...

i have (what i think of is a) huge operation with my tanks...

in my:
55gal: Cascade 700(185gph) BioWheel 200(200gph)
20gal: BioWheel 150(150gph)

i plan on purchasing the BioWheel350(350gph)

thinking on moving all my filters around...getting rid of my 20gal

55gal: Cascade 700(185gph) BioWheel 350(350gph)=535gph
38gal: BioWheel 200(200gph) BioWheel 150(150gph)=350gph

is that enough filtration for the tanks? and is it legit to move 2 filters from 2 different tanks into 1 tank?

What about running all the filters on the old tank for a couple of weeks to seed everything then make the switch, it will look strange with HOB's hanging all over but it works.

Sounds like sufficient filtration to me, what I shoot for is turning I've the tank volume 7-10x per hour and remember a 55g doesn't hold 55g with substrate, decor, and equipment so it looks good.

well the only problem with running all the filters in one tank is that i have too many fish for one tank... i need to separate the filters to keep all my fish alive...

not sure if im able to turn my filters up or down...

i got the cascade 700 canister filter with my 55gal, thinking the canister filter is a great filter being for an aquarium for up to 75gal, but then its only capable of 185gph... which is more important gph or aquarium size capability?

but back on subject if i take the biowheel 200 out of my 55 and my biowheel 150 out of my 20 gal and put them into the new 38 gal, is that ok? 2 different established tanks filters? cause taking the filter out of the 55 still leaves me with the established cascade700 and that will help seed the new biowheel350...

this is all so confusing but simple at the same time, i just feel my brain goin in circles about it all... hahaha

The last part made sense to me, so do it that way.

As far as GPH or tank size I always lean towards GPH but even then every manufacture exaggerates to sell more products for instance my Fluval FX5's say 900GPH and it's good for a 400g tank but in reality it flows 600GPH with media and it's good for a 125-150g tank.

yea companies love making their products looks awesome...

i guess my final question is, is it ok to have 2 established filters from 2 different tanks in 1 new tank?

No diseases that ive seen, the biggest issue would be ammonia but since im trying to cycle a new tank thatd only help me right? Cause was i get from cycling instructions is you're tryin to build ammonia and then take it back down to start a bio cycle... Correct?

Yea, well i think i know wat i need to do now, i have 160lbs of tahitian sand coming to me on thrusday, im gonna cycle my 38gal with that for a few weeks and then switch over my fish and then switch my gravel in my 55 to the sand... Now i read that SA cichlids are more for plants than rocks and africans are more for rocks than plants, is this correct

Back
Top Bottom