SA ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone had any success keeping any tankmates with the Festae(true red terror) ? If so or not I'd appreciate the feedback..Thx

Has anyone had any success keeping any tankmates with the Festae(true red terror) ? If so or not I'd appreciate the feedback..Thx

Nope, once they start to mature it's hit or miss depending on the individual fish. Here is my largest female who's killed three or four dozen fish including her male. They are in the top five most aggressive cichlids in my opinion, and this young lady is insane. She now lives alone in a 40 breeder while my other 3 males are growing out.

27198-albums1492-picture38282.jpg

Last edited:
Wow my fish is only 2" now..afraid I'm gonna have to rehome him,as I would like to keep a community SA tank..I have some bolivians in my 20g tall but the 75g is where I'm going for the community...stock is as follows ebjd,pike cichlid,salvini,green terror,Festae,firemouth,bristlenose,siamese flying fox and zebra Danios for dithers..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120809_094014.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120809_094014.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 127
That tank is going to be World War III, I have my money on the festae or salvini. That stock list may work in a 6ft. tank but a 75g will not allow for enough individual territory, plus the festae could hit 16" which would fill a 75g by himself. Since they're all small you should not see all the issues immediately but it certainly could be coming, just have a back up plan in case in things go south quickly. I've had fish kill a dozen tankmates overnight, which is nothing good to wake up to!

They are beatiful fish but hands down my biggest challenge and source of frustration.

The tank looks great as well, nice job with the scape!

Last edited:
I think you should decide on which fish you would like to focus on and build a stock list around those. Which ones would you like to keep long term?

The ebjd..

I was hoping you were not going to pick that one, they are very pretty fish but one that I've persoanlly given up on since they are prone to health problems. I feel they do better as a solitary fish with a school of tetras and a bristlenose plec. They don't handle stress very well.

I would try the salvini, green terror, and firemouth for cichlids then keep the plec and SAE but I think the zebra danios will be toast. For dithers I normally use buenes aires tetras since they are a full body larger fish.

I don't know anything about pikes except some stay small and some are extremely large. There is a member here by the name of 5x5 who is very knowledeable with pikes maybe give him a PM.

So all in all the only one I would remove would be the festae and possibly the pike depending on speices.

tiger terror said:
Heres a rough pic

That's an undescribed columbian pike species that goes by the name Crenicichla Sp "belly crawler". They are technically not dwarfs but are among the smallest non-dwarf pike species at 6 inches. They would work well with medium aggression cichlids, but I doubt they'll survive with the red terror.

Thanks for the id & the advice 5x5..have already rehomed the Festae...my current group should be fine from here on..

I had a Crenicichla Johanna Annusha Red Pike Cichlid for about a month until he started attacking my Firemouths and Rainbow's even at his young age. He would ambush them from the side using Vallisneria as cover, done a lot of fin damage before I give him to my friend.

Back
Top Bottom