SA & Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethings Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My missus reckons she has read about people keeping corys in the same tank as American cichlids & that it can be done. It probably can with discus, severum, festivum & other cichlids that only have small mouths & are not active hunters.
Unfortunatley the missus now reckons she can have corys in our 6x2x2ft american display tank with our green terror, chocolate & brazilness.

Can a few people point out some of the problems that she will encounter trying to put corys in this particular tank? She simply does not believe me when I say they might as well be live food. She is convinced that because our fish are all still under 4inches, they will grow up with the corys & will leave them alone.
I on the other hand think it would only be a matter of time until corys start getting swallowed along with big gob fulls of gravel.
Help me save some innocent corys please.

ouch... id say one problem would be that you would have a bunch of corys coming out in a brown string like form from the bottom of your fish...

I couldn't agree more. It's only a matter of time IMO until they get eaten & I would bet on sooner rather than later too. Unfortunately the missus has a habit of dropping new fish in tanks while I'm at work & leaving me to clean up the mess. I'm hoping to stop her doing that this time as I really don't want to chase corys around a 6ft heavily decorated tank. Nor do I want to try & find the half chewed bodies of innocent fish.
MAYBE if enough people tell her it's a bad idea she will listen but the one person I know she won't listen to is me. The only person in our hose that knows anything about fish at all. Makes it very hard for me to have successfull tanks.

Back
Top Bottom