Sa and New World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dpeco33 said:
True..they are mean..and get quite large..even by Texas standards

My Texas is pretty mean. She killed 2 males even after having the tank divider in and letting her calm down for a few days. One male was twice her size. Thankfully third time was a charm lol.

Ouch..that is one feisty female..what's her name ....black widow?
You would think the males would have harassed her to death...

dpeco33 said:
Ouch..that is one feisty female..what's her name ....black widow?
You would think the males would have harassed her to death...

Yea she's mean. She even picked on a dovii when she had to be removed from her tank due to an emergency tank failure. It was only for a couple hours but she tore him up and they was roughly the same size.

Hey I saw the thread and totally agree with the idea of having a SA new world forum. I keep SA's and feel left out mostly when I surf the site. WE matter too! :).
I keep a chocolate, blood red parrot, 2 tiger oscars (one albino), geo, pleco, gold severum, JD, and one I have had for a while but having trouble identifying. Will post a pick. I love the SA/New World cichlids, I think they do not get enough attention.

It's great seeing so many new people joining the new world club.

In my opinion it's not the colors or body shapes as cichlids from either side of the pond have what someone is looking for. However personality wise it's night and day difference. I feel like the more aggressive species in SA/CA are more fun to interact with, but it also makes it harder to stock a more full tank that some may like with the Africans. Not to mention that many of the more common new worlds grow to a larger size then some are willing to properly provide for.

Anyways I love being a new world guy.

As much as I would like a separated Cichlid section, I've learnt so much from reading the African threads as I only keep SA, I probably would have missed a lot if they where seprate.

Borderlesscott said:
As much as I would like a separated Cichlid section, I've learnt so much from reading the African threads as I only keep SA, I probably would have missed a lot if they where seprate.

I would have to agree, but that set ups may be a little different but the general idea is the same and can be helpful at times

You know maybe a year ago I would a liked them to be split. But I really enjoy reading everything that catches my eye. Even if it is Africans which I have NO desire to keep. I still like going to the cichlid section and reading everything. I treat African cichlids the same as salt water. Although I don't want to keep them... I enjoy looking and reading about it to learn more.

Having seen forums set-up with African and New World sections and bein' an admin on a small forum with that set-up, my observation is that both sections end up bein' relatively dead and most posts end up in the general cichlids section anyways. My personal feeling is that it wouldn't really benefit anything, but I truly don't care one way or the other.

I'm the opposite of Aski247; since my seduction by the Dark Side, I keep mainly Africans and just a few New World species that were rescues from people who couldn't handle 'em. Still like readin' 'bout different CA/SA species, though.

WYite

This forum does not have near the traffic to warrant a switch like that, larger sites such as MFK has so many threads that unless they're separated over half of threads would be on page 3/4 within a hour and simpy never answered. Here I can check once a day and never leave the first page.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom