SA Dwarf Cichlid stocking 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey!
Things are finally starting to come together for my 55gal that I have been putting together. Lights are on their way, as well as some fake plants until I can get a c02 setup and go all in with some real plants.
Anyways, I was wondering how many Rams I could stock safely. I am planning on getting a combination of Blue, Gold, and Electric Blue, and Bolivians. I would also like to add some Apistogrammas (source is all out right now:facepalm:) at some point down the road, so please keep that in mind.
I plan on getting some cichlid stones, rocks, and some driftwood to keep things rather busy inside with plenty of hiding spots.
Thank you in advance!
Spenny

:thanks:

I can't say I've ever tried it, but based on my experience keeping various species of dwarf cichlids, that seems like an awful lot of fish for a 55. I don't think a 55 has enough space for them to claim territories, but like I said that's just a hunch.

IMO that's way too many dwarfs for that tank
What about 1 of each ram then a community around them or a pair of apistos with a stock around them?
If you go with four rams I'd do a variation on this scape I drew up
Green is plants
Grey is hardscape
Tan is substrate
Left side is front
Right side is back

image-936300973.jpg

Dwarves will do fine in a smaller amount of space, given that they are the right species and there are plenty of space to hide, and break the line of sight. In my 40 gallon column, I have 4 A. cacatuoides, 2 A. trifasciata, 2 D. maculatus, and 2 M. altispinosa. While yes, this is a lot of dwarves, it has worked out quite well, although I won't recommend it. My cacatuoides have claimed the left side of the tank, the trifasciata have claimed the right side. It is divided by a piece of malaysian driftwood that goes from bottom to top of the tank. The maculatus and altispinosa tend to roam all over. Once again, I won't recommend it, but it can work.

I appreciate all of your inputs and advice! I will take all said into consideration when I get to the buying fish stage.
What tank mates would you suggest to go with the Rams? I have some swordtails in my other tank that I may move over, but have read it doesn't always work out for the best. Would Angels be alright?

Thanks again,
Spenny

Most tetras will do great with rams, a single angel wold be fine. 2-3 tend to only create problems. Also look into dicrossus filamentosus, aka the lyretailed checkerboard cichlid. They can be hard to find, but are extremely unique in the way the move, interact, and feed. I have D. maculatus and they are by far my favorite fish! Keyhole cichlids would a great idea too, you could probably do 4-6, as they are extremely peaceful and are even fairly docile when spawning! They get 4-6 inches, so they technically aren't dwarves, but they aren't huge either.

Would I be able to increase the amount of Rams if I only went with one colour?
I have heard that you can do keyholes with dwarfs, so I will keep that in mind!
Thanks
Spenny

Love how the songs are exact opposite of each other . But I get what you are saying and will stock according to the advice!
Thanks
Spenny

Back
Top Bottom