SA/New World stocking help for a 110ga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nerf-Herder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently picked up a new 110 gallon and would like to stock it as an agro/semi-agro SA/New World cichlid tank. I like oscars, dempseys, terrors anything with color and personality. Maybe some dithers. I have a chocolate cichlid with keyholes in a planted tank right now I may or may not try to intergrate them into the new system depending on the feedback you all receive. Thanks in advanced!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would leave the chocolate and keyhole as is. They wouldn't stand up to the likes of jacks, and and oscars. With that said...I would recommend against oscars for a 110g. They need a lot of space and getting one of them would limit the rest of your choices. Also, you could come across a jack or green terror that just terrorizes the tank and make it difficult to stock anything else. I would go more towards the less aggressive side of it. How about 1 red Severum, 1 firemotuh, and a couple of geos of your choice. You could also do a catfish like a syno or Raphael. With that setup you could eventually incorporate the chocolate cichlid.

What would you recommend as a good dither fish in that set up. My chocolate is about 6" and in a heavily planted tank so I think you're right. I should probably just leave him be. What about Urau and severum?

If you say you like oscars and such maybe you could get a pair of dempseys and a severum

I'd go for cichlasoma hartwegi common name tail bar cichlid if I had a 110 gallons.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

leave the oscars out. go with fire mouths, a striped raphael, clown loaches and geophagus. blood parrots are cool too.

I think you're right I'll need to leave the Oscars out of it. 3 clown loaches 3 silver dollars a red severum 2 Dempsey and maybe a convict or 2? Do severums need to be in schools? I like Uaru a lot too.

I think you're right I'll need to leave the Oscars out of it. 3 clown loaches 3 silver dollars a red severum 2 Dempsey and maybe a convict or 2? Do severums need to be in schools? I like Uaru a lot too.

I'd say one convict and not two.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

severums dont need to be in schools. i would do 6 clown loaches. they have a lot of personality and like moving around the bottom of the tank as a group. i like that stock tho. black cons and dempseys are some of my favorite fish. red belly means female so keep that in mind when buying convicts. they become territorial and aggressive when spawning.

Awesome! Thanks, I think that's the stock list I'm going to go for. I plan on fabricating a 3D rocky back ground with roots arching in with some anubias or java fern. Kind of a black water tank. I appreciate the help. I love this site!

Back
Top Bottom