sad day for all my cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostking010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Omg I did a full clean up of my 80 gallon filled it up and put my decor in and let it cycle for 2 hours web I seen the tank look ready I put all 13 of my cichlids in and in min they all went into shock and died exsept for my pleco <mod edit> what happened please help I lost hundreads of money on them I'm sad all I added to the water was baking soda a spoon for the ph and a little table salt and cycldd for two hours help please I don't under stand why the pleco survives

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your fish. Could be a couple things. Ph swing due to adding baking soda, maybe temperature change. Did you add water conditioner to the water like prime? Maybe the pleco was just more resilient. What were they in while you cleaned the tank? Was there a heater in the temporary container?

If it was instantaneous then it was probably everything wrong. PH and temp had to be way off from the water the fish where sitting in for them to go belly up like that.

Your pleco is fine because he is a lot more hardy than cichlids. Remember he is a catfish after all.

Sorry it happened thought. Next time make sure you acclimate them to the tank water before adding them.

LyndaB said:
A tank does not cycle in 2 hours. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

I think the OP meant they let their water circulate for two hours before adding the fish back in.

My guess is the PH was drastically different from the baking soda and the temperature was about 10-15 deg higher. Also there is no need to add salt. That sounds like shock inducing death to me.

Besides the tank not being cycled, which wouldn't have killed all the fish instantly. I'm guessing some type of shock, whether it is temp or ph swing. I'm going to say the pleco was hardier and did not die with the rest because of that.

There's some great articles in our Articles section about cycling your tank. I'd suggest reading a few of them to familiarize yourself with the nitrogen cycle.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!Aquarium Advice
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless CyclingAquarium Advice

Omg I did a full clean up of my 80 gallon filled it up and put my decor in and let it cycle for 2 hours web I seen the tank look ready I put all 13 of my cichlids in and in min they all went into shock and died exsept for my pleco wtf happens please help I lost hundreads of money on them I'm sad all I added to the water was baking soda a spoon for the ph and a little table salt and cycldd for two hours help please I don't under stand why the pleco survives

There is so little information, that it is hard to provide any real explanation of what you did wrong.

Can you clear up some basic information that will help others help you.

1. Explain the tank setup prior to getting the fish. Did you just fill it with water and decor and then through the fish in there or did you do some type of cycling method to grow the beneficial bacteria? If you don't know what I am referring to, then you have some reading to do.

2. Did you acclimate the fish or just toss them in? There are a variety of acclimation methods, but you need to make sure that you introduce them to your water parameters slowly, so they don't go into shock (which is likely what happened to yours).

Regarding the pleco being the only survivor: Fish have differet sensitivity levels and you haven't provided information about which cichlids you purchased.

Lastly, some advice as you move forward with fishkeeping. Spend some time understanding water parameters, fish acclimation, water maintenance and general best practices before wasting all this money. There is a science component to fish keeping and investing the time and effort to understand it is important. There are many people here that are more than willing to help.

Did you test your water for Nitrites before adding it to the tank.A very high Nitrite reading would kill fish very quickly indeed.
Sorry for your loss :(

I can't add anything to what has been posted above, but I'm sorry for the loss of your fish.

From what i understand his tank was already cycled and just cleaned the tank.

How long did that take? Where did you put the fish/filter/heater....?

Your filtration is like only "half" the beneficial bacteria in the whole setup and the rest is on deco/glas/substrate so if you let everything dry its dead and then your only left with your filter where i gues also allot of the bb has died

Thats 1 thing to consider but that was prolly not why they died.

I'm also thinking it just was the water being to far of and that shocked them.
But if that would not have been the case your ammo would have maybe also been of the chart within a few days and maybe that would have killed a couple 2.

Anyway without more details nobody will know for sure.

the filter has a lot more than half the beneficial bacteria on it. and aside from everything else posted,don't use table salt. like,ever. it has a bunch of additives in it that can harm fish

alLexX said:
the filter has a lot more than half the beneficial bacteria on it. and aside from everything else posted,don't use table salt. like,ever. it has a bunch of additives in it that can harm fish

Yes this is very true if your going to add salt at all use aquarium salt (dried sea salt) but you don't even have to use that.

Sorry for your loss, I know it can be frustrating.

Well thanxs evry one I did slowly add the new water in the contaner they werin like evry 10 min they were ok till I finelly put them all in in like sec they all swam crazy and died sucks now I gotta empty 80 gallon good thing the pleco lives he's boring tho lol

Yea it mostlikely was I got new fish today and there doing great and eating swiming fine here's some pics

ForumRunner_20120516_231112.jpg

ForumRunner_20120516_230721.jpg

ForumRunner_20120516_231330.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120516_230901.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_230901.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom