Safe to add a bristlenose pleco with CA cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I've had my tank running for about a month so far with no big issues other than some diatoms. I've been told to wait on those so I'm hoping in the next few months it'll clear up. I read that otos are best to rid a tank of diatoms but aren't compatible with my cichlids.

This is my current setup:

20 gallon long w/ AC50 doing 25% w/c every 3-4 days
1x female con @ 2 inches
1x female firemouth @ 1.8 inches (pretty sure its female; less red under mouth than the others at LFS and was bullied by other fms)
5x black skirt tetras @ 1-1.25 inches

The tetras were added to relax the cichlids and they did that job perfectly. I'm glad I listened to the advice on here of not adding a RTS/rainbow shark as I've read some stories of how big they get (6-7 inches) and would've been too heavy on my bioload and maybe even bullied my future 4-5 inch cichlids.

So some questions:

-With the recent algae issue would it be ok to add a bristlenose in there? I've read they are the smaller pleco version and get 4-6 inches but still do a great job of cleaning.

-Will it be too much bio-load on my tank?

-Will the cichlids become aggressive towards it?

-I currently have about a foot long piece of driftwood for it since I've read they need dw, 2 amazon swords, and (so far) 12+ stems of anacharis densely planted. If some of you deem it safe, would the BNP chomp up my plants?

IMO, you could put a bristle nose pleco in there if you have good filtration. The thing with your plants is the cichlids are going to be the ones who will mess with it. I could never keep plants with my cichlids, always tore them up.

IMO, you could put a bristle nose pleco in there if you have good filtration. The thing with your plants is the cichlids are going to be the ones who will mess with it. I could never keep plants with my cichlids, always tore them up.

Yea i second that as long as the bnp dont get bullied to death in the first few weeks all should be ok

I have an AC50, so I'm hoping with 10x the tank capacity filtered per hour it should be enough. When I bought the anacharis and swords the LFS employees warned me of the cichlids possibly destroying them but I got them anyways taking a risk. If it comes down to it I'll put them in some pots or surround the roots with rocks, but I'm hoping since they were introduced in the tank when they were tiny and aren't paired I should have better success.

Yea i second that as long as the bnp dont get bullied to death in the first few weeks all should be ok
Yeah, this is why I was wanting to do it, before they get mature and establish a territory I wanted to get the final stocking done.

Any other opinions?

Back
Top Bottom