Sailfin Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discusdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it just me or do Sailfin Pleco create a lot poop? I had a little bit of alge on my tank walls. I went and got a Pleco to handle it and now my tank is littered with poop! I have to vacuum my tank substrate. Just looking for opinions from others that have Plecos.

discusdude said:
Is it just me or do Sailfin Pleco create a lot poop? I had a little bit of alge on my tank walls. I went and got a Pleco to handle it and now my tank is littered with poop! I have to vacuum my tank substrate. Just looking for opinions from others that have Plecos.

Normal hehe. You should vacuum the substrate anyway ;)

Yeah I meant to say vacuum the substrate every other day. That and the SOB is probably going to run up my nitrate level!

That's one of the reasons why a fish should never be purchased to do our job. All your doing is contributing to the bioload of the tank. If you like the fish buy it but dont buy it to replace maintenance.

Yes daddy... I do a lot of maintenance on my tank and it shows in my fish and water quality. I also work 9.5 hrs a day 6 days a week and just had a baby on Friday.. Not every one can do daily water changes. I do like that hobbie and am not up to your criticism on every post..

With that said I believe that some fish do serve their purpose in a tank.. Meaning they are bought for more than just looks and weather you just like them. Like people in society they have a job.

Yes daddy... I do a lot of maintenance on my tank and it shows in my fish and water quality. I also work 9.5 hrs a day 6 days a week and just had a baby on Friday.. Not every one can do daily water changes. I do like that hobbie and am not up to your criticism on every post..

With that said I believe that some fish do serve their purpose in a tank.. Meaning they are bought for more than just looks and weather you just like them. Like people in society they have a job.

This is a public forum if you unaware, so if your not wanting any criticism or other people's opinions maybe you should not post questions on the Internet.

I am aware. Just looking for advice and seems all you have to offer is criticism... Always. Im all for constructive criticism but you need to tone it down.. Not be such a "know it all". I read your post and sounds like your very knowledgeable but you need to brush upon your people skills. Maybe get off the computer time to time.

He was telling you the truth, plecos make a lot of poop. I don't see how he was being a "know it all" he told you what needed to be said. the only thing, that will effectively "clean" your tank is you and maybe plants.

If you are sick of the poop being on top of whatever substrate you have, (sand i am guessing) get a group of loach or snail to stir the sand up for you. it won't allow you to stop cleaning the tank but will hopefully avoid piles of nastiness. But, will increase your bioload.

I really don't need to work on people skills on the Internet do I? This is a informal and non-personal way of interaction in today's society. I'm not the kind of guy who get's their feelings hurt over something someone said, I stopped caring what people thought about me back in grade school. Maybe that's a lesson you should learn here.

Last edited:
Holy smokes didn't this thread take a crash dive, right out of left field!!! Big fish equals big poop equals bigger bio load and unfortunately more maintenance. It sounds like it's more of a visual problem for you though, how's the nitrate level? I wonder has it increased at all...

That's one of the reasons why a fish should never be purchased to do our job. All your doing is contributing to the bioload of the tank. If you like the fish buy it but dont buy it to replace maintenance.

It's your job to get rid of algae? I have a magic eraser and a list of tanks for you mister!:ROFLMAO:

I can understand why discusdude reacted the way he did, this post really reads condescending, and I'm trying hard not to imply any tone into it.

Algae eaters are marketed as such, so people buy them to eat algae. I think most, if not nearly every person who gets into this hobby has done this, or at least thought about it.

You are making a big assumption here, that people are buying these fish solely to do a job for them. While it's true that people buy plecos, etc, to eat algae, they also buy them because they like them.

I have a group of otos that I move from tank to tank to eat diatoms, is that an aquarist faux pas as well?

And back to the OP: Yes plecos are poop machines. Another thing you should consider is that sailfin plecos get absolutely huge, so you may want to go with a smaller species, like bristlenose.

jetajockey said:
It's your job to get rid of algae? I have a magic eraser and a list of tanks for you mister!:ROFLMAO:

I can understand why discusdude reacted the way he did, this post really reads condescending, and I'm trying hard not to imply any tone into it.

Algae eaters are marketed as such, so people buy them to eat algae. I think most, if not nearly every person who gets into this hobby has done this, or at least thought about it.

You are making a big assumption here, that people are buying these fish solely to do a job for them. While it's true that people buy plecos, etc, to eat algae, they also buy them because they like them.

I have a group of otos that I move from tank to tank to eat diatoms, is that an aquarist faux pas as well?

And back to the OP: Yes plecos are poop machines. Another thing you should consider is that sailfin plecos get absolutely huge, so you may want to go with a smaller species, like bristlenose.

Well said!!

Back
Top Bottom