Sallivin ciclids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar4life

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope I spelled it right but I have two sallaive ciclids and one is real bright yellow and black and the other is really dark is the bright one a female and the dark one a male because the bright yellow and black is in a cave that I made and the dark one is keeping watch

Salvini are some of my favorites but depending on size they are somewhat hard to sex, although females have a black blotch on their dorsal fins and Operculum. Post some pictures so I sex them. They also require a 55g for a pair so proper housing due to aggression is a must.

Last edited:
I will try the real bright yellow one hiding in cave so I will try they are in a 72 gallon tank oh I have two convicts and four choc ciclids and two jack dip that are 1 inch

I will try the real bright yellow one hiding in cave so I will try they are in a 72 gallon tank oh I have two convicts and four choc ciclids and two jack dip that are 1 inch

That's soon to be alot of fish with drastically different aggression levels. What's the goal for the future with all those large fish.

The two jacks am keeping for a friend until he gets his tank ready to but them in. The fire mouth am keeping with my Oscar in a 55 I don't know about the ciclids I have can you help me and tell me what one can together

Oscars can reach 14", Chocolates can reach 12", convicts 5-6" and Firemouth 6", so there's going to be some serious issues with overcrowding very quickly. Oscars and Chocolates need a minimum of 55g each so in the near future some hard choices must be made, whether it's rehoming fish or adding tanks, even with a 180g or better you still don't have the room for all those fish. South and Central American fish are prone to certain diseases when water quality is poor, HLLE is common when nitrates is high and a poor diet is used. Your best bet if there is no huge tank in your future is rehoming now, the larger the fish the harder it is to find a place for them.

As far as keeping them together, theoretically it could work but as with people these fish have much different personalities and it's a hit or miss sometimes. Be ready to remove or separate fish quickly cause with these big boys death can come quick and without warning.

Last edited:
Ok then thanks I just set up my 55 gallon to so putting the firemouth in it with a green terro as for the Oscar am giving them to a friend of mine so will the four choc and the two conv and the sal be ok in the 72

Back
Top Bottom