Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

salt to a cichlid tank?

I had someone just tell me that I needed to add salt to my 65 gal cichlid tank. What the heck? I had never done that before. Is this something I need to look at and why?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1860 View Post
I had someone just tell me that I needed to add salt to my 65 gal cichlid tank. What the heck? I had never done that before. Is this something I need to look at and why?
Some people use "cichlid salt" some don't. Some use kosher salt some don't. MOST use salt only when treating for an illness.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanx Con. Sound words.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1860 View Post
Thanx Con. Sound words.
Anytime!! Just to give you more info. This is the salt that most talk about.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...dLakeSalt.html

Like I mentioned most don't use it. If treating ich, columnaris etch kosher salt will work just fine and is cheaper.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use that api aquarium salt I put 1 teaspoon a week with water change for the fish gill function I was reading it helps
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochana25 View Post
I use that api aquarium salt I put 1 teaspoon a week with water change for the fish gill function I was reading it helps
The claim that aquarium salt helps gill function refers to osmoregulation - however the only evidence found that supports that is the fact that a small amount of sodium chloride can help block the uptake of nitrite. Otherwise, this claim (like many others about salt) has very little evidence to back it up.

I've heard kosher salt brought up - just for clarification, to make sure there is no misunderstanding, kosher salt alone will not do the same thing as premade cichlid salts. Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, just like aquarium salt, and the composition of cichlid salt supplements involves a whole lot more than just NaCI. You can make your own cichlid salt, though, using sodium chloride and other ingredients, following this recipe. Not that con was saying they were the same - I was just saying this to clear up any potential confusion
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post

The claim that aquarium salt helps gill function refers to osmoregulation - however the only evidence found that supports that is the fact that a small amount of sodium chloride can help block the uptake of nitrite. Otherwise, this claim (like many others about salt) has very little evidence to back it up.

I've heard kosher salt brought up - just for clarification, to make sure there is no misunderstanding, kosher salt alone will not do the same thing as premade cichlid salts. Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, just like aquarium salt, and the composition of cichlid salt supplements involves a whole lot more than just NaCI. You can make your own cichlid salt, though, using sodium chloride and other ingredients, following this recipe. Not that con was saying they were the same - I was just saying this to clear up any potential confusion
Your correct. I brought up kosher salt in the event of treating the tank for certain things. I haven't used salt (cichlid salt) in forever. Everyone seems fine. But I do hear/read that it does help, just not buying it fully yet.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

WOW. Now I'm totally confused. I had a cichlid tank back in the 80's and never used salt then. I didn't think I would need to now. Everyone seems to be doing fine. Kinda hat to rock the boat if y'all know wot I mean...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long have you had these cichlids for. Most time you will only need to worry about buffering your water with salt is in case you have wild caught fish. Most breeders do not use it and your fish are more than likely acclimated to plain Jane water.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Mal I've had them now for 2 - 4 weeks now.

Tags
cichlid, ich, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com