Salvini and jewel comparability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish keeper 5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am just cycling my new 75 gal and I have a single salvini cichlid which I believe to be male however it is to early to say (the reason for my thoughts that it is a male is because it is very aggressive and killed the other salvini that I purchased at the same time as him). It is currently In my existing 30 gallon tank but is only 2 inches. I also have two 3 inch pictus in there with him but there is no aggression toward them at all. My lfs have some really good looking jewel cichlids and I wondered if anyone has ever had luck with this pairing or if anyone has any comments. Obviously I would only be adding the fish to the cycled 75 and not putting them in the 30.

I would say no but thats me I had a salvini that was a killer. I love them. All you could do is try and have a divider or another tank ready just in case.

Likely people would say no but I've had a jewel wipe out more aggressive tank mates he was insane. Killed a jd a gt and a midas all bigger. You could try but watch closely. I'd put a single jewel in before the salvini in new tank. I honestly haven't tried them together.

To tell Salvini gender, females have a black blotch on the dorsal fin and the gill plate. Males do not. But I don't think gender will matter in adding fish almost all salvini are aggressive little guys. I had to get rid of mine she was terrorizing fish 3 times her size.

I typically woudn't recommend the mixing of those two fish because both jewels and Salvini are highly aggressive. But you are putting them in a 75 if you don't have anything else it might work as they will both have there own territories. If it does work what ever you add next will most likely wind up dead.

Did the Salvini kill the other in the 75 or was it a smaller tank? If so I would expect the jewel to be any different.

The salvini killed the other in the 30 at about 1 inch in length, there is nothing in the 75 as it is still cycling. There is no spot on the gill cover but was also told at my lfs that they were to small to be sexed and would need to wait until they were about 2.5/3 inches (whether this is true I am unsure but there is defiantly no spot).

As I said I will try but if it does work that will be it. But in my opinion probably the 2 best looking freshwater cichlids once mature. Thanks for the advice

The salvini killed the other in the 30 at about 1 inch in length, there is nothing in the 75 as it is still cycling. There is no spot on the gill cover but was also told at my lfs that they were to small to be sexed and would need to wait until they were about 2.5/3 inches (whether this is true I am unsure but there is defiantly no spot).

As I said I will try but if it does work that will be it. But in my opinion probably the 2 best looking freshwater cichlids once mature. Thanks for the advice

They are right you wont know for sure until 2.5 -3". I agree they are both very nice looking adults. Give it a shot you definitely have the tank space for it. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom