sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bg-mike

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok were do I get my sand at some one said a sand blasting place what grade is good for my fish..

Also all the sand they have at your lfs are all good grade and quality for your aquarium. What fish are you keeping with this sand because for cichlids you might want crushed coral or cichlid sand.

If you want to save a lot of money don't buy it for you LFS, you can get sandbox sand at home depot or pool filter sand at a pool place for much cheaper. Unless your looking for specialty sand like crushed coral etc.

Go to a pool store and buy PFS. ( pool filter sand) or to a hardware store. Its very cheap ( $20 for 20 lbs vs. $20 for 100lbs at the hardware store. ) it comes in white and black

So I just ask the hardware store for sand nothing special right..

I just bought this sand from the hardware store. Would this work? For like normal fish. It's at 28gallon. So no chidlids for me

Attachments

• image-3479049311.jpg
    image-3479049311.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 77
As long as you rinse it out with water and make sure it's clean then it's good to go!

I use blasting sand and love it. It is bigger than play sand from Walmart which I also have in one of my tanks. I use 20/40 grit and it is big enough no stay on the bottom and not stir up as easily. I got mine from tractor supply company. The only negative is that it needs to be rinsed quite a lot. But so does play sand. I don't have pool filter sand but would like to try it one day

I have the same all purpose sand your picture shows and it works great! the problem is the rinsing......i rinsed mine for 3-4 hours and it was still a little cloudy but not much. I didnt run my filter until cloudiness was gone.

k.mascher86 said:
I have the same all purpose sand your picture shows and it works great! the problem is the rinsing......i rinsed mine for 3-4 hours and it was still a little cloudy but not much. I didnt run my filter until cloudiness was gone.

Do you think the sand will work for pants. And and did that problem only happen when you put the sand in the tank?

I have pool filter sand and it works great 8 bucks for 50 lbs at pool store .. Any pool store will have ithere my eel loving it

Attachments

• image-728770869.jpg
    image-728770869.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 76
GreenTerrorNoob said:
I have pool filter sand and it works great 8 bucks for 50 lbs at pool store .. Any pool store will have ithere my eel loving it

So I wanted to get pool filter to sand but I've called all the hardware tires and nobody has some. Where would be some places where you could get some cheap pool filter sand?

I didnt have pkants so i dk, but the cloudiness went away in a day or 2 and its been clear ever since

Plants will grow fine in sand.

Pool filter sand you're pretty much only going to find at a, well, swimming pool store. It's what is used in one of the types of filters. I like it because it is a little bigger than play sand is just a tad bit heavier keeping it down.

I have a tank that has play sand in it and when the syphon goes into the sand I notice a good amount ago honing out whereas I don't see as much with my pfs.

In my main tank (125g) I mixed about 20lbs of crushed coral with around 120 lbs of pfs. I love how it looks.

Attachments

• image-3247502335.jpg
    image-3247502335.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 85
Ok and maintenance is it the same a gravel I yous a gravel vac will that work...

Back
Top Bottom