Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a simple search 5 - 5lb black or white silica sand for smoking Recepticals same stuff its just sand. for $26 so roughly a $1 a lb at home Depot. Here the link - http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid...nd-for-Smoking-Receptacles-UNI-S25/100674209/

But hey u can't beat that. Think about how much that would cost at Petco haha way to much. 25lbs of sand imo is more then enough for a 55. I myself did half pebbles half sand. And I got away with using 15lbs of sand to put a coat over the base pebble. I just like the way it turned out.. Good luck with it

I have used the Black Tahitian Moon Sand and the sugar white sand from Petsmart. The black sand looks awesome under florescent light and it doesn't show the wastes like the white sand. I had an algae bloom in the white sand tank after experimenting with live plants and the sand turned brown and green from the algae. I had such a difficult time keeping the white sand clean that I became so frustrated I took the sand out and put gravel in (not to mention throwing the live plants away).
I'm a beginner, so I know I did something wrong because I have seen beautiful white sand tanks, but I would never use anything but darker colored sands in my tanks until years of experience down the road.
------
And speaking of algae...
I have some algae in my tank. Green algae that clings to the glass of the tank that I've been removing with a sponge. I have brown algae attached to my plants (plastic). I took all my decorations last weekend while I had the gravel vacuum doing a water change and cleaned them. I have a plastic amazon sword plant and the blade of the leaves are brown within a few days. I purchased Tetra Algae Control after reading good reviews about the product and there doesn't seem to be any change. I'm going to have to take all my decorations out again tomorrow and clean them. Would a weak Clorox rinse help? Any advice?
I don't have an algae eater because my tank is too small for a pleco and even if I had a larger tank I would be hesitant to put one in there with the african cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom