Sand Changeout Advice on brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tieberion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, started by Cichlid tank with some Stuff my wife bought for my birthday (couldn't say no honey!)

Anyways, it's white Super Naturals Sand. It's ok, but seems a little too grainy at times when it gets stirred up, but my Rams and loaches love it.

I had originally wanted to, and now switching too a Tahitian Moon Sand (Black).
Problem is I'm seeing 7-10 "brands" all claiming to be Tahitian Moon sand, from the Super Naturals to a Petco Brand. Can anyone show off some Pics if you have it in your tank, and what brand you use/recommend?

Would like to keep semi fine so theirs no injury's, and this will be for my 55 Gall Long GBR/Clown Loach Tank. (To keep wife happy :fish2:, adding rest of the white sand into 100 Gall Malawi tank)

Thanks!

I have the super naturals tahitian moon sand and it's amazing. Probably my favorite sand across all my tanks.

It's very fine and soft, yet somehow doesn't get as easily sucked up by the vacuum, which is nice.

Black diamond sand blasting media!

I've also heard you can get black Quickrete sand blasting sand at Home Depot or Lowes, but my local stores didn't have it.

The Quickrete and Black Diamond are both "medium" grained and are cheaper that anything you will find at a pet store. All you have to do is clean it. I clean mine by filling a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket up half way with sand and spraying it with the hose, lifting the bottom sand to the top for about 10-15 minutes until the water runs clear.

Black diamond sand blasting media!

I've also heard you can get black Quickrete sand blasting sand at Home Depot or Lowes, but my local stores didn't have it.

The Quickrete and Black Diamond are both "medium" grained and are cheaper that anything you will find at a pet store. All you have to do is clean it. I clean mine by filling a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket up half way with sand and spraying it with the hose, lifting the bottom sand to the top for about 10-15 minutes until the water runs clear.

I'm no expert but, coal slag doesn't seem like a good thing to put in your aquarium. Also "sharp and angular pieces" may not be good for diggers.

I'm no expert but, coal slag doesn't seem like a good thing to put in your aquarium. Also "sharp and angular pieces" may not be good for diggers.

There are tons of posts and info about it, here is one I have bookmarked: Black Diamond Sand - ENDING ALL SPECULATIONS!

If you google Black Diamond substrate, there are countless discussions on it. I picked some up for my tropical tank this week, but am out of town for the weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's one specific to a cichlid tank. http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-tank-photos/130829-new-substrate-black-diamond-cichlids-2.html

I have the super naturals tahitian moon sand and it's amazing. Probably my favorite sand across all my tanks.

It's very fine and soft, yet somehow doesn't get as easily sucked up by the vacuum, which is nice.

100% my opinion also

There are tons of posts and info about it, here is one I have bookmarked: Black Diamond Sand - ENDING ALL SPECULATIONS!

If you google Black Diamond substrate, there are countless discussions on it. I picked some up for my tropical tank this week, but am out of town for the weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's one specific to a cichlid tank. New Substrate (Black Diamond) And Cichlids. - Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos - 130829 - Page 2

Right from their web site
Black Beauty® Abrasive Description:

A black boiler slag abrasive with the following advantages: low moisture content, high degree of etch for permanent bonding of coatings, readily used in standard equipment in commerce, inert, fast cutting due to sharp angular edges, hardness, more economical, longer lasting and leaves minimum dust

Here is the link
Black Beauty® Abrasive (Boiler slag, Coal slag) from READE

Right from their web site
Black Beauty® Abrasive Description:

A black boiler slag abrasive with the following advantages: low moisture content, high degree of etch for permanent bonding of coatings, readily used in standard equipment in commerce, inert, fast cutting due to sharp angular edges, hardness, more economical, longer lasting and leaves minimum dust

Here is the link
Black Beauty® Abrasive (Boiler slag, Coal slag) from READE

Yea I don't know. It's made for sand blasting, just like sand which has sharp edges as well. Haven't read anything bad about it on any fish forums and see it suggested a lot. The first link I posted was a first hand account which seemed like the hard angular we're selling point words for sand blasting, but he said it wasn't abrasive in his hands. It sounds like the OP wants TSM anyways, which is also beautiful, just a lot more expensive. I hope it looks great whichever way you go!

Yea I don't know. It's made for sand blasting, just like sand which has sharp edges as well. Haven't read anything bad about it on any fish forums and see it suggested a lot. The first link I posted was a first hand account which seemed like the hard angular we're selling point words for sand blasting, but he said it wasn't abrasive in his hands. It sounds like the OP wants TSM anyways, which is also beautiful, just a lot more expensive. I hope it looks great whichever way you go!

Yea unfortunately if you search enough you can find just as many "it will work" as "it wont work" There is a thread going now where some one bought it and when washing it he has a rainbow on the surface of the water witch he thought there was an oil or silicone on it.

Yea unfortunately if you search enough you can find just as many "it will work" as "it wont work" There is a thread going now where some one bought it and when washing it he has a rainbow on the surface of the water witch he thought there was an oil or silicone on it.

Yea, like I said I picked some up this past week, not sure when I'll get arou d to washing if and putting it in because I'm moving soon, but maybe I'll post my results and findings in a new thread here for future endevours.

Yea, like I said I picked some up this past week, not sure when I'll get arou d to washing if and putting it in because I'm moving soon, but maybe I'll post my results and findings in a new thread here for future endevours.

That would be great. I just spent about $100 for sand in the past month because i just didnt want to take a chance.

I've got Tahitian Moon Sand in my planted 10g. I certainly have no complaints! I love how the green pops with a black substrate, and it really brings out the fishes color.

Attachments

• image-3166680477.jpg
    image-3166680477.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 113
I've got Tahitian Moon Sand in my planted 10g. I certainly have no complaints! I love how the green pops with a black substrate, and it really brings out the fishes color.

That's a nice looking setup.

What most of you don't realize is, it's that tahitan moon sand IS coal slag. What is black diamond? Coal slag.

Thanks for all the replys and pics!
And wow, I never knew that about Tahitian Moon Sand was coal slag, always thought it was some type of crushed coral.

Thanks for all the replys and pics!
And wow, I never knew that about Tahitian Moon Sand was coal slag, always thought it was some type of crushed coral.

Unless it's dyed (which will eventually lose its color) or its a certain kind of gem (can't remember ugh! It's really hard to find now tho)

Interesting piece of decor in your tank haha...

Haha. Glass pipe as a decor. Never thought of that. It looks good though. I think I'll put a water pipe in mine ;). Lol.

Haha. Glass pipe as a decor. Never thought of that. It looks good though. I think I'll put a water pipe in mine ;). Lol.

I was wondering if anyone would notice haha. Had an extra I was never gonna use and decided it would look nice. That would be interesting, lay it down and it could be like a little hiding place for a fish

I was wondering if anyone would notice haha. Had an extra I was never gonna use and decided it would look nice. That would be interesting, lay it down and it could be like a little hiding place for a fish

Chew off some resin left behind hah

Back
Top Bottom