Sand for African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so going to get black sand blasting sand tonight to redo my tank, any thoughts. And also is this sand safe for munba Africans because they dig so much? Thanks

My Africans are ok with it. They push the sand with the body rather then pick up gravel with the mouth haha it's even cuter now. I just switched to sand as well

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390345610.092978.jpg

My babies. The snow cichlid is doing crazy digging!!! It's neat how he throws his body into moving sand from his cave haha

Just make sure you wash it good, Some people complain of a oilly substance while washing. You want this all gone before you put it in your tank. My favorite sand is pool filter, has a nice natural tan color

Make sure to turn filter on after all waters been replaced but it shouldn't. It has been known to get in a filter motor and jam it but it's rare

Washed the sand pretty dirty with alk the stuff hidden under the gravel had to shove my poor cichlids in a 10 gal for tonight but the tank is cycled had a 50 gal filter and heater with some rocks they seem to be doing ok. Going to let water clear up then tomorrow add some more sand do a water change and see what happens from there.

One question if then 10 is cycled would they be ok to leave one more night? There are about 10 ranging from 2" to 4"

You can try but may be risky. I had mine in a bucket while I did my swap and one got beaten badly. So your leaving them in one night or two?

View attachment 218314
Almost there just add plants and more rocks. How does it look so far?

Good start. I'd maybe look toward more round rocks that can pile higher. I need to for my mbuna tank too. I've been lookin on web at pics of others an I feel like personally a rock like towards each end with some scattered single rocks toward the middle and some open swim space is nice. Kinda like these. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390435177.917132.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390435304.604189.jpg

I'd like to make mine similar to these. That's my preference! How much better does your tank look w sand?! Thumbs up btw!

Back
Top Bottom