Sand is better for the africans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got-to-love-Chiclids

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have came to the conclusion that sand is better for them. It helps keep the ph up and when u have the super fine stuff and the bigger crushed coral and they make designs and it is pretty cool

Ugh. This just reminded me I have 40 lbs of crushed coral to wash. I love sand for everything. It just makes the tank more interactive.

Of course this is your opinion no? Is there research to back this up, that indeed sand is better? Just asking not starting anything by no means. Just that I went through this and decided to go with small natural gravel but I did however use for a base a sand from Petland that said it was made just for African Cichlid's. My crew still picks up the rocks and moves them around etc... On of my little finned friends even dug down to the glass!! Funny to watch :)

This is what I used.

This is the base
View attachment 63807

mixed in

View attachment 63808

View attachment 63809

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Of course this is your opinion no? Is there research to back this up, that indeed sand is better? Just asking not starting anything by no means. Just that I went through this and decided to go with small natural gravel but I did however use for a base a sand from Petland that said it was made just for African Cichlid's. My crew still picks up the rocks and moves them around etc... On of my little finned friends even dug down to the glass!! Funny to watch :)

This is what I used.

This is the base

mixed in

If u go to lake Malawi and look at the ground in the lake it's sand thus making it better for the fish because it's more like there natural habitat. But gravel is cool not as interesting as sand I will take a pic of what they have done to mine

If u go to lake Malawi and look at the ground in the lake it's sand thus making it better for the fish because it's more like there natural habitat. But gravel is cool not as interesting as sand I will take a pic of what they have done to mine

Have you been there or are you just stating what somebody else said? Not trying to start anything, but according to the research I've done, while Malawi has sandy beaches in some areas, the cichlids are found in the areas of rock rubble, not the beaches. Curious because I've seen this often, would like to confirm either by someone who has actually been there.

It is just simple research first of all I have been to Africa never lake Malawi but if u do research about the lake and the cichlids they prefer it here are the pics the last pic of the ship was before

Attachments

• image-464511899.jpg
    image-464511899.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 74
  • image-98903367.jpg
    image-98903367.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3000092322.jpg
    image-3000092322.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1873681081.jpg
    image-1873681081.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 66
Oh and u can't forget that it's fact

Do your research please

That the bottom of lake malawi is sand

Getting a little testy here aren't you? I was simply asking a question. I have done quite a bit of research on this particular topic, and your statement that the bottom of Lake Malawi is sand is incorrect. In point of fact, two different substrates are to be found in Lake Malawi, sand and rock rubble.

The underwater photic environment of Cape Maclear, Lake Malawi: comparison between rock- and sand-bottom habitats and implications for cichlid fish vision

According to AD Koning's book Cichlids and all the Other Fishes of Lake Malawi, while both substrates exist in the lake the Mbuna cichlids are tied to the areas of rock rubble rather than the areas of sand.

I apologize If I've diverged your thread, that was not my intention, based on your statements, I was simply continuing my research. Your statement about examining the Lake itself made me curious as to whether or not you had been there, as your "observations" were different than those who have.

There u go witch is why I said the super fine stuff and the bigger coral or gravel as u can see in my pictures and the rocks for hiding THUS we are both correct in are own ways :)

Wy Renegade said:
Getting a little testy here aren't you? I was simply asking a question. I have done quite a bit of research on this particular topic, and your statement that the bottom of Lake Malawi is sand is incorrect. In point of fact, two different substrates are to be found in Lake Malawi, sand and rock rubble.

The underwater photic environment of Cape Maclear, Lake Malawi: comparison between rock- and sand-bottom habitats and implications for cichlid fish vision

According to AD Koning's book Cichlids and all the Other Fishes of Lake Malawi, while both substrates exist in the lake the Mbuna cichlids are tied to the areas of rock rubble rather than the areas of sand.

I apologize If I've diverged your thread, that was not my intention, based on your statements, I was simply continuing my research. Your statement about examining the Lake itself made me curious as to whether or not you had been there, as your "observations" were different than those who have.

So how was I incorrect

how do u vacuum clean the sand?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have something to add shortly after posting, please make use of the "Edit" feature so that you don't have several back to back posts with little content.

You made this claim

And there was interchange and explanation that the mbuna's actually spend their time over rock rather than sand, that's all it was. No need to tell people to do their research, consider that maybe they have already and we are all here sharing ideas.

The bottom of lake malawi is mixed with all sizes of rock. From boulders as big as a house to a piece of sand. There is no definate answer. However the vast majority of the lakes bottom is fine sand.
Im sure you all have seen this 4 part series on youtube. Different cichlids stick to different places in the lake. At the end of this video you can see "bowls" created by cichlids for breeding. Its really cool

Jmedic25 said:
The bottom of lake malawi is mixed with all sizes of rock. From boulders as big as a house to a piece of sand. There is no definate answer. However the vast majority of the lakes bottom is fine sand.
Im sure you all have seen this 4 part series on youtube. Different cichlids stick to different places in the lake. At the end of this video you can see "bowls" created by cichlids for breeding. Its really cool

Thanks!

Ummm... My research came to the conclusion that the rocks in malawi are limestone based primarily and not river rock. Nor was there any pink or blue gravel or resin decor on the bottom of Lake Malawi from any of the videos I've seen of fish in their natural habitat.

Saying "X is the best thing" for anything is inaccurate and closed minded IMO. Telling people to do their research when your's is clearly flawed or lacking is a bit rude too. JMO

Maybe a better way to phrase that is "sand is better for the humans that take care of africans". :)

Africans don't even need a substrate, no fish really does. We put in something that we like and hope they like it too. I've seen many beautiful bare bottom tanks with very happy, thriving fish.

Africans do like to dig, so sand would be a better fit for them, however, some of the smaller gravels would work just as well. I prefer the look of white sand, so my africans have white sand. *Shrugs* My firemouths, who would dig to glass if I didn't stop them, have pea gravel. It's all about the preference of the tank maintainer, me.

In some instances there are certain fish who would require special consideration when choosing substrate.

Example: If you have burrowing fish like dojos, then yes, if you want substrate, sand is the best. Sand won't damage their scales.

I don't put much faith in "specialty" substrates except for planted tanks. After a few water changes, the additives wash out. Eventually even the shells in those cichlid sands will stop producing pH.

Back
Top Bottom