Sand or Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erickC.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just wanted to run a quick poll. I have used sand in my 55 and in my 29 since I got them. I'm kinda getting tired of it. When I do my water changes the siphon pulls up a bunch of it. It also seems to show everything. Any sediment or fish poop stands out drastically no matter how long I spend vacuuming. I just like the way sand looks. I have white sand in my 29 (bad choice of color) and black and grey sand in my 55. Should I switch to gravel or just make all black substrate?

erickC. said:
I just wanted to run a quick poll. I have used sand in my 55 and in my 29 since I got them. I'm kinda getting tired of it. When I do my water changes the siphon pulls up a bunch of it. It also seems to show everything. Any sediment or fish poop stands out drastically no matter how long I spend vacuuming. I just like the way sand looks. I have white sand in my 29 (bad choice of color) and black and grey sand in my 55. Should I switch to gravel or just make all black substrate?

Id go with all black sand

Gravel is a lot harder to clean and looks a lot less natural. With gravel, all the debris and droppings will sink into the gravel and it'll be harder to siphon out. With sand it all stays on top for easier cleaning. It's your choice but sand is easier.

Sand does have a more natural look to it then gravel for sure. I'm using blk gravel right now but hoping to switch to sand eventually.

erickC. said:
I get a lot of my rocks shifting too since they dig it so much

Place rocks first, set them up in a manner where they will not fall or silicon them together. Then add sand. There is far less of a chance of things going wrong of you it that way.

Who I was I kidding I knew the answer to my question. Convict the pics. pretty much sums it up. I think I'll change my sand to solid black

Place rocks first, set them up in a manner where they will not fall or silicon them together. Then add sand. There is far less of a chance of things going wrong of you it that way.

Convict.... what kind of drift wood do you have? My buddy is having problems with his. It is fogging up and making the water murky yellow.

Back
Top Bottom