Sand or Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want sand, already had gravel in many tanks for over 20 years. Are there any real cons of sand. I have a canister filter can it damage the filter?
Thanks in advance!

Sand is fine... little bit different to clean than gravel but that is about it. Pool filter sand works really well as an economical substrate.

agreed. I actually prefer sand. I just recently changed all my tanks to gravel. The great thing about sand is that you can just hover above it with your water changer to get all the fish feces. Sand will be fine with your canister as long as your intake is high enough above the sand so it doesn't suck it in, and if the sand is not too small of a grain. Pool filter sand is a very good size grain and IMO, perfect for cichlid tanks.

The only caution i give with sand is be careful when cleaning the glass inside the tank that you don't pick up any sand and rub it against the glass

Sand because if u use gravel they can't make there homes

See look at my tankImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389031983.712424.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer sand also. It just looks more natural to me and I know it's better for my cories and loaches.

You can make a prefilter to keep sand out of the intake. I like to use Aquaclear sponges for this because they are coarse enough to not clog very easily. Just cut a block of foam that will fit over the intake, then cut an X shaped hole in the middle so you can slip it on.

You can make a prefilter to keep sand out of the intake. I like to use Aquaclear sponges for this because they are coarse enough to not clog very easily. Just cut a block of foam that will fit over the intake, then cut an X shaped hole in the middle so you can slip it on.

And it does not mess the filter up whatsoever?

And it does not mess the filter up whatsoever?

Meaning that water goes through still no problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I have done this for years. That's why I like the coarse Aquaclear sponges to make my own. Of course, if you don't maintain them every once in a while they will slow down the flow of the filter, but if you're doing proper maintenance you are not going to have any trouble. Frequency of cleaning is going to depend on what is in the tank. I'm using prefilters on 4 tanks right now. This works with hang on back filters too. My multies really move a lot of sand so I have one on the Aquaclear 70 I use for their tank, and I'm using one on another Aquaclear 70 that I have on my albino bristlenose breeding tank. It's definitely keeping the fry out of my filter, because I have about 70 of them in the tank right now. LOL

Yes. I have done this for years. That's why I like the coarse Aquaclear sponges to make my own. Of course, if you don't maintain them every once in a while they will slow down the flow of the filter, but if you're doing proper maintenance you are not going to have any trouble. Frequency of cleaning is going to depend on what is in the tank. I'm using prefilters on 4 tanks right now. This works with hang on back filters too. My multies really move a lot of sand so I have one on the Aquaclear 70 I use for their tank, and I'm using one on another Aquaclear 70 that I have on my albino bristlenose breeding tank. It's definitely keeping the fry out of my filter, because I have about 70 of them in the tank right now. LOL

Lol wow good job with the plecos. You are very knowledgeable thank you!

Hey severum mama,
I got the aquaclear foam block. For a 70g tank. It's a good size to fit over the intake. But how will the filter suck up excess food and waste with a sponge over the intake of my canister filter?

Thanks. Setting up the tank today. Need replies ASAP!

Back
Top Bottom