sand or gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumbuff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am currently designing a Cichlid tank, I have noticed in my local shop that you can now but sand to put in the tank instead of gravel, is this a good idea, I have seen two colours , grey and sand coloured. I was also wondering which colour is best? When you syphon the water out when cleaning will the sand be syphoned out as well? what sort of depth is needed please

I use pfs in my tanks. It's a tannish color and I mix it with black sand from the lfs for a peppered look. pfs is cheaper and heavier so it doesn't suck out of the tank as easily. You can choose any color that you like, it's all personal preference.

Hi FIshfanatic

PFS is that Pool Filter sand? can this be purchased from a aquarium retailer?

Yes, that's Pool Filter Sand. You''ll find it at your local pool supply store. I paid $6 for a 50 lb bag. What size is the tank?

Pool filter sand is a great substrate, I'll second that. Or, if you like the look of the sand at your LFS, that's great too, but it will cost a lot more. CaribSea makes a really cool looking African cichlid substrate if you're interested in that- it's kind of like a white and black sand mix. It looks awesome in a tank and helps buffer up the pH of the water, if you need to do so.

I use a heavy sand too... I usually siphon the sand by allowing the grains to get "washed" a bit inside the siphon, then by pinching the hose shut I can control the flow and let the sand settle back down in the spot I just sucked it up from.

Back
Top Bottom