Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sand sifter with cichlid

I'm looking for something to go in with a 8" Polleni cichlid in a 55 gal to stir up the sand. I have consider a powerhead but not really sure which to get. I have a Aquaclear 70 as well as Ehiem 2217 hooked up for filtration. The polleni is pretty laid back except with other black cichlids. Any advice will help.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't worry about stirring my sand ever as I've said the aerobic gas pocket myths are nonsense, but if thats your concern I'd recommend Malaysian trumpet snails.

Anaerobic gas pockets are present but they are harmless, as the bacteria start transforming due to the lack of oxygen they start reducing iron and sulfur, one of the by-products of this is hydrogen sulfide which is truly dangerous but when exposed to oxygenated water it's utterly harmless. There is not one documented case of anaerobic gas pockets causing harm or a fatality in a aquarium, another perpetuated myth reguritated on aquarium forums.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I don't worry about stirring my sand ever as I've said the aerobic gas pocket myths are nonsense, but if thats your concern I'd recommend Malaysian trumpet snails.

Anaerobic gas pockets are present but they are harmless, as the bacteria start transforming due to the lack of oxygen they start reducing iron and sulfur, one of the by-products of this is hydrogen sulfide which is truly dangerous but when exposed to oxygenated water it's utterly harmless. There is not one documented case of anaerobic gas pockets causing harm or a fatality in a aquarium, another perpetuated myth reguritated on aquarium forums.
More so to deal with the poop. No so much air pockets I was trying to avoid stirring the sand every week being lazy I guess lol
Old 12-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #4

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
More so to deal with the poop. No so much air pockets I was trying to avoid stirring the sand every week being lazy I guess lol
The I'd use the powerhead or my preference would be a Koralia circulation pump directed at your filters intake.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post

The I'd use the powerhead or my preference would be a Koralia circulation pump directed at your filters intake.
Would u know what size?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Would u know what size?
I'd use the 750GPH model or 2 smaller 400GPH would also work.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I looked into the mts and I see the benefit of them especially in a planted aqaurium. I may get some instead of the powerhead..... Now I have to find some no lfs sells them here
Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lots of time they will just have them in tanks. Common hitchhiker. The mts will not keep the poo off the sand if that is what you are looking for. They burrow in the sand during the day time and come out at night. If you think you have to much poo lying on top of the sand I would go with the some type of power head I use the maxi jet.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well I looked into the mts and I see the benefit of them especially in a planted aqaurium. I may get some instead of the powerhead..... Now I have to find some no lfs sells them here
If you do get some mts, be careful!!! Overfeeding by just a tiny bit can make your snail population explode.

Tags
cichlid, ich, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com