Sand sifter with cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for something to go in with a 8" Polleni cichlid in a 55 gal to stir up the sand. I have consider a powerhead but not really sure which to get. I have a Aquaclear 70 as well as Ehiem 2217 hooked up for filtration. The polleni is pretty laid back except with other black cichlids. Any advice will help.

I don't worry about stirring my sand ever as I've said the aerobic gas pocket myths are nonsense, but if thats your concern I'd recommend Malaysian trumpet snails.

Anaerobic gas pockets are present but they are harmless, as the bacteria start transforming due to the lack of oxygen they start reducing iron and sulfur, one of the by-products of this is hydrogen sulfide which is truly dangerous but when exposed to oxygenated water it's utterly harmless. There is not one documented case of anaerobic gas pockets causing harm or a fatality in a aquarium, another perpetuated myth reguritated on aquarium forums.

I don't worry about stirring my sand ever as I've said the aerobic gas pocket myths are nonsense, but if thats your concern I'd recommend Malaysian trumpet snails.

Anaerobic gas pockets are present but they are harmless, as the bacteria start transforming due to the lack of oxygen they start reducing iron and sulfur, one of the by-products of this is hydrogen sulfide which is truly dangerous but when exposed to oxygenated water it's utterly harmless. There is not one documented case of anaerobic gas pockets causing harm or a fatality in a aquarium, another perpetuated myth reguritated on aquarium forums.

More so to deal with the poop. No so much air pockets I was trying to avoid stirring the sand every week being lazy I guess lol

More so to deal with the poop. No so much air pockets I was trying to avoid stirring the sand every week being lazy I guess lol

The I'd use the powerhead or my preference would be a Koralia circulation pump directed at your filters intake.

Well I looked into the mts and I see the benefit of them especially in a planted aqaurium. I may get some instead of the powerhead..... Now I have to find some no lfs sells them here

Lots of time they will just have them in tanks. Common hitchhiker. The mts will not keep the poo off the sand if that is what you are looking for. They burrow in the sand during the day time and come out at night. If you think you have to much poo lying on top of the sand I would go with the some type of power head I use the maxi jet.

Well I looked into the mts and I see the benefit of them especially in a planted aqaurium. I may get some instead of the powerhead..... Now I have to find some no lfs sells them here

If you do get some mts, be careful!!! Overfeeding by just a tiny bit can make your snail population explode.

Back
Top Bottom