Sand turning green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad9282

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi how can I stop the sand turning green, I do 25% water changes weekly but it turns green by the end of the week. Thanx.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of sand? How many and what kind of fish? What else is in your tank?

I have beach sand in it and only have 2 electric yellows 2 electric blue and 4 bristle nose catfish.

Also have rock and drift wood in it

Green like algae? How much lighting does the tank gets?
BTW if it is algae especially green, is not a problem, I'm thinking it's more of an aesthetic issue?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes green algae tank gets between 12-15 hours a day but I think I might put it on a timer and cut back the time, I also read turning the lights off through the day for a couple of hours might help.

I also have a blue moon light mode on the light do you think if I just leave that on for a couple of days it might help

Yes green algae tank gets between 12-15 hours a day but I think I might put it on a timer and cut back the time, I also read turning the lights off through the day for a couple of hours might help.

Cut back to 8 hrs. A timer is a good idea.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm thinking those fish you have might like gracing on green algae. You might want to cut back on the lighting or just leave it off for a few days.
As weird as it may sound, I like getting some green algae on stones and gravel.

Ok thanks for your help guys.

I would leave the lights off for a few days, then cut your lighting schedule down to 7 or 8 hours a day. You could up you waterchanges to 50% weekly. That would clear it up faster.

Back
Top Bottom