Scavenger for Firemouth setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just like the title... Are there any good bottom feeders for cichlid tanks?

40 gal 300 gph filtering heated 80 F

5 firemouths

5 tiger barbs

1 resilient zebra danio

1 assassin snail

1 Japanese moss

1 anubias

1 other plant name unknown

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I have a tank with 5 jewel Cichlids. Added bristlenose catfish about a month ago. So far so good

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is 40 gal enough to support a BN? I thought they get big... Like real big.

BN plecos get to 5" max, you could have 2-3 in your setup. Just be warned that they are major waste producers and therefore should be in a tank that is highly filtered.

Iv had some confusion around this as well. Pretty sure the catfish is just a smaller version of a pleco. Pleco can grow to over a foot, catfish around 15cm as far as I know. They look very similar tho

Yeah I didn't notice until I get it I have a dead spot in one corner. Weekly hoover needed now!

BN plecos get to 5" max, you could have 2-3 in your setup. Just be warned that they are major waste producers and therefore should be in a tank that is highly filtered.

Is my filter setup enough combined with weekly PWCs?

Filter 1: Aqueon 35 (200 gph)
Filter 2: Aqueon 10 (100 gph)

Correction:

Filter 1: Aqueon 30 (not 35) 200 gph

Total is still 300 gph I just accidentally put 35 instead of 30.

I "think" it should probably cycle the whole tank at least 20 times an hour

I "think" it should probably cycle the whole tank at least 20 times an hour

So you "think" a 40 gallon tank needs 800 gph!?!?!? Isn't that a bit overkill? 800 gph is enough for a tank twice mine!

Sorry meant 10 times. But again I'm not 100% sure

Oh that makes more sense... But my Aqueon 30 came saying that it was designed to be used on 30-45 gallon tanks and it is only 200 gph on its own. In top of it I added the Aqueon 10. So maybe it is more like 5 times. I don't know though if it is that simple

Yeah, it also depends on the fish you want to keep, dimensions of tank and pipework (if any) again not 100% sure so worth double checking

So you "think" a 40 gallon tank needs 800 gph!?!?!? Isn't that a bit overkill? 800 gph is enough for a tank twice mine!

3 to 4 hundred or 7 to 10 times an hour is fine. Is this a standard 40 or a 40 breeder or a 40 long? What is the foot print of the tank? A 40B or a 40 Long I would go ahead and add bristle nose. Standard 40 I wouldn't add anything.

3 to 4 hundred or 7 to 10 times an hour is fine. Is this a standard 40 or a 40 breeder or a 40 long? What is the foot print of the tank? A 40B or a 40 Long I would go ahead and add bristle nose. Standard 40 I wouldn't add anything.

The dimensions is 36 wide 20 height 12 deep. I think it is a 40 standard... Could I add just one or two?

The dimensions is 36 wide 20 height 12 deep. I think it is a 40 standard... Could I add just one or two?

You could but I would keep a close eye on nitrates and don't slack on water changes. You will most likely need to be doing a min of 50% weekly when everything is adult size. My concern is the meeki and the plecos will be competing for floor space. so you may see more aggression out of them even though their not real aggressive.

You could but I would keep a close eye on nitrates and don't slack on water changes. You will most likely need to be doing a min of 50% weekly when everything is adult size. My concern is the meeki and the plecos will be competing for floor space. so you may see more aggression out of them even though their not real aggressive.

I might try adding one. You are right about everything being full sized might pose a problem. But at first it would be good I think.

Would adding more rocks and crevices for hiding help?

Is BN my only option? I was looking for something to help with cleaning up from my messy meeki (so to decrease with decaying food and thus decrease nitrates... Not something that will only increase waste)

So... Are there any other options?

Bumping this up again...

I plan on switching my substrate to sand. Does that open up my options in the CUC department?

It would be a great help for someone to give me my best options. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom