Scrawny Yellow Lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've noticed over the past few days that one of my yellow labs has gotten thin, with sort of a shrunken belly. The fish is keeping its black fin coloration. It comes up like it is interested in eating but does not eat. Its too small to sex and I don't see the pouffy mouth like it is holding. Its not really acting sick. Not sure what to do besides wait it out.

I have the exact situation before only mine is an afra. I thought maybe a parasite or something but im not sure. All my others look fine and he has looked like this for a while now so idk if its life threatening. Does its feces look weird or stringy? Hope we get some answers.

joel618 said:
I have the exact situation before only mine is an afra. I thought maybe a parasite or something but im not sure. All my others look fine and he has looked like this for a while now so idk if its life threatening. Does its feces look weird or stringy? Hope we get some answers.

I have not caught him doing dooty yet, but I have been watching out for that as well. Strange thing is that he/she is still very colorful. I would think that he/she would drab down if he/she were ill.

joel618 said:

Any update on your situation? My lab is not acting sick, it is active at feeding time, and swims up to food, but won't actually eat.

The most common signs of Bloat are being reclusive, lethargic, spitting food, stringy white poop, and a sunken belly...rarely do the fish actually bloat up. I would suggest a couple of rounds of Metrozoidale, I use Parasite Clear by Jungle. If the situation progresses then I'll turn to Clout which is a nasty medication combination which is for emergency purposes only IMO. If the fish is spitting food and refusing to eat I'd start treating immediately. It you don't have the meds you can also dose Epsom salts at 1tbs per 5g slowly over a few hours time, until the tank is treated.

During this time of 4-5 days do not feed the fish or turn the lights on as Metrozoidale is effected by light. Treat the tank for 2 days then perform a 30-40% water change and dose again at full strength.

Afterwards the cause must be addressed, the most common reasons are stress, poor food choice as in low quality high protein, and to much salt.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
The most common signs of Bloat are being reclusive, lethargic, spitting food, stringy white poop, and a sunken belly...rarely do the fish actually bloat up. I would suggest a couple of rounds of Metrozoidale, I use Parasite Clear by Jungle. If the situation progresses then I'll turn to Clout which is a nasty medication combination which is for emergency purposes only IMO. If the fish is spitting food and refusing to eat I'd start treating immediately. It you don't have the meds you can also dose Epsom salts at 1tbs per 5g slowly over a few hours time, until the tank is treated.

During this time of 4-5 days do not feed the fish or turn the lights on as Metrozoidale is effected by light. Treat the tank for 2 days then perform a 30-40% water change and dose again at full strength.

Afterwards the cause must be addressed, the most common reasons are stress, poor food choice as in low quality high protein, and to much salt.

Thanks for the thorough instructions. Not sure what the root cause could be. I'be been feeding them NLS Cichlid exclusively for several months now; only enough for them to finish in about 30 seconds. Ill look for the meds you suggested.

So it's still a juvenile? You're sure it's not a holding female? Because all of my holding females do that, they come out at feeding time but don't eat.

Can you get us a pic?

CraigMac said:
So it's still a juvenile? You're sure it's not a holding female? Because all of my holding females do that, they come out at feeding time but don't eat.

Can you get us a pic?

I never know at what point a juvie is no longer considered a juvie. It's about 3" in length. Yeah, I thought it might be holding. I can't get a look in its mouth. I don't see the pouffy jaw though. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow at feeding time.

I'm reluctant to medicate my fish unless I suspect an epidemic; and even then I typically just do a salt and/or temp treatment if it applies to the problem. Unfortunately at this point I don't have a quarantine tank. Since it's not acting sickly, I may just wait it out a bit. It really may just be holding. I have not had any Labs make it ti spit yet, so I can't tell for sure what a fish holding really looks like, other than by online pictures.

Bloat transfers from one to another from mouthing freshly discharged stringy poop, without treating this can make a sizeable impacts to your current tankmates. Metrozoidale is harmless in the quantitys as directed and 5th grader can follow the instructions from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Labenator65000 said:
Any update on your situation? My lab is not acting sick, it is active at feeding time, and swims up to food, but won't actually eat.

I feed nls thera a. Mine acts pretty normal but it hangs out at the top of the tank when the lights have been on for a while. It may have to do w my male starting to show color. The first is my sick fish (i think he is). The second is my male. He has been looking like this off and on for the passed couple weeks.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120516_231944.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_231944.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20120516_232005.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120516_232005.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 94
HUKIT said:
Bloat transfers from one to another from mouthing freshly discharged stringy poop, without treating this can make a sizeable impacts to your current tankmates. Metrozoidale is harmless in the quantitys as directed and 5th grader can follow the instructions from the manufacturer.

I never knew bloat was transferable. I always thought that it was caused by en excess of protein exclusively. I'll give the meds a try. Thanks again.

It doesn't have to have all the signs of illness before a diagnosis is made, the fish is not eating and has a sunken stomach...that's enough for me to start treating.

Do you have any pictures, and your sure it's not a holding female?

HUKIT said:
It doesn't have to have all the signs of illness before a diagnosis is made, the fish is not eating and has a sunken stomach...that's enough for me to start treating.

Do you have any pictures, and your sure it's not a holding female?

It's been too elusive to snap a clear picture. I looked a couple of places and could not find Parasite Clear b Jungle, so I settled on Tetra Parasite Guard. It was the only other thing that I could find that contained Metrozoidale. They were like Alka Seltzer tablets. I used them just as directed. I'll report back on the results.

HUKIT said:

OK Hukit, I submit to your 3400+-post-edness, which either means you've been in the hobby for a very long time, or that you have a whole lot of spare time on your hands ;)

I'm at the 48 hour mark after initial treatment and no fatalities. I did a 30% PWC and retreated. The lights are left off and I have not fed them since initial treatment. I'll assume that in another 48 hours I'll do a large water change (60% or so), I'll add activated carbon to my filter to help clean up the meds, turn the lights on and start feeding again.

Your right on track with the action I take, with the only difference I don't use carbon to remove the medication just a couple of large daily water changes after the treatment is over. On only one occasion I had to perform a 3rd round of treatment, so feed after the 2nd round to see if there is change in their eating behavior.

If you divide my post count by 136 you'll arrive at the number of years I've invested into this hobby.

Last edited:
I just did a 50% PWC 2 days after the second treatment, turned the lights on and fed them lightly. The lab is still spitting. It's still acting healthy. I may just need to let nature take it's course.

Back
Top Bottom