Sea salt and cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just K.I.S.S, if you feel you need to "add something" use crushed coral, Holey rock or limestone. Keep in mind however the higher your PH the more toxic lower levels of ammonia become. So you'd have to be extra vigilant on water quality.

Salt = not needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just K.I.S.S, if you feel you need to "add something" use crushed coral, Holey rock or limestone. Keep in mind however the higher your PH the more toxic lower levels of ammonia become. So you'd have to be extra vigilant on water quality. Salt = not needed! Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! No I'm not one that likes adding anything that is not needed, especially salt.
Was just wondering what the general feeling was on keeping a steady higher pH was especially when my tap water has taken a swing towards the softer side and lower pH.

When I first kept Mbuna 25 years ago many of the LFS said they needed a little bit of marine salt. I never did and my fish were fine. But it was a common thought way back then no idea where that thought came from since they are from lakes and do not require salt.

Did I cause confusion? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. :) I would just like to clarify that I'm aware that Epsom salt is plain old magnesium sulfate and I don't use it to buffer the water, I use it strictly as bloat prevention. Also, please understand that I use Morton brand iodized table salt in small quantities because my personal research indicates that Mbuna need iodine in their diet. I have zero experience when it comes to marine salt specifically. I welcome all information that you all can provide because we're here to help each other and enjoy the company of other aquarium enthusiasts. I will keep an eye out for everyone's input on this topic. ;)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mbuna can get their iodine intake from dried seaweed, one quarter-ounce serving contains 4,500 micrograms of iodine. Most fish foods also contain small amounts of shrimp/krill, one three-ounce serving of shrimp provides 35 micrograms of iodine.

I repeat there is no need to add salt to the water.

Mbuna can get their iodine intake from dried seaweed, one quarter-ounce serving contains 4,500 micrograms of iodine. Most fish foods also contain small amounts of shrimp/krill, one three-ounce serving of shrimp provides 35 micrograms of iodine.

I repeat there is no need to add salt to the water.

Why thank you Mogurako! :) That's what I'm talking about....give me information I'm not aware of - so I too can become more educated. No more table salt use for me...

Thanks again & my Mbuna thank you too...you know your stuff. :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been using a brand called cichlids salt for about 3 months now never had any problems very active cichlids
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410578135.082064.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advic

I did when I first started and stopped after time to see and it didn't make a difference. That recipe is making what api and other brands make as a rift lake buffer. Its not needed at all and imo is a waste of money. The bad thing about it is it can fluctuate in the water which is why I recommended the crushed coral.

This is my Malawi tank :)

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on what the water is like where you live. In my case, I've found that using buffer is absolutely necessary. Our water is so soft here that a tank with crushed coral and holey rock will only go up to about 7.2. Our water comes out of the tap at about 6.4, which as you can imagine is no bueno when you're adding replacement water to a tank full of rift lake cichlids. I've had a lot more success with rift lake fish since I started using buffer.

For most situations, I agree that it wouldn't be necessary.

Depends on what the water is like where you live. In my case, I've found that using buffer is absolutely necessary. Our water is so soft here that a tank with crushed coral and holey rock will only go up to about 7.2. Our water comes out of the tap at about 6.4, which as you can imagine is no bueno when you're adding replacement water to a tank full of rift lake cichlids. I've had a lot more success with rift lake fish since I started using buffer.

For most situations, I agree that it wouldn't be necessary.

Yea I know!!! The OP has a much higher ph than you. It just drops some after a few days so I was giving advice as I did on all the other 3 threads the OP has on ph.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Didn't know there were other threads. Just throwing that out there for others that happen to be reading. I totally agree with using crushed coral, aragonite, holey rock, etc. for this situation.

Back
Top Bottom