Seeking input on additions to a 40G.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have 3 Keyhole Cichlids, 6 tiger barbs, 2 SAEs, 1BN pleco in a 40g planted tank, with driftwood and large rocks. To address some of the Cichlid aggression (2 ganging up on 1), I'm thinking of adding either 2 Bolivian Rams or maybe two more Keyholes. I'd love to add both but I'm not sure that's ok for a 40 g.

I'd welcome any input.

Adding 2 more keyholes, and 2 Bolivians will do nothing to stop the aggression. It would just completely overstock your tank and make the fish more stressed out. I would reccomend finding a new home for the keyhole that is being bullied, and then getting the 2 Bolivians.

It sounds to me like you have 2 keyholes that have paired off, and they do not want to tolerate the odd one out. I would not suggest adding another pair of cichlids regardless of species. The pair is making it clear that the bottom half of the tank is their territory. You could instead bump up numbers of schooling fish. Tiger barbs wouldn't be what I would recommend for this tank, but if it's working out that's good.

Severum and NYGiants,

Thanks very much for the input. I'm going to be finding a new home for the bullied keyhole in another community tank I have. I just hope he doesn't turn into the bully in his new home, which is filled with tetras(black skirt and rummymouth) and platys (red wag).

He shouldn't. I'm actually kind of surprised at the level of aggression you're seeing, lol. I've never had keyholes do that, but I've never kept them long enough to have a pair form either, so there's that. Just goes to show how unpredictable fish can be. Good luck!

Yes, it surprised me too. The entire reason I got them was because of their allegedly peaceful nature.

Which brings up a question about the aggression. It doesn't look like they are attacking the 3rd fish. It's just that they chase him, and when they get close enough to touch, he bolts. But I never see any real contact. There's no doubt that the poor fellow (female?) is running and hiding. Of that I'm sure. But it doesn't look exactly what I would call aggression with intent to harm.

Any thoughts on that?

If the fish is eating well and there are no signs of physical damage, I'd probably leave them alone... just out of curiosity, what is the footprint of the tank? There's a big difference between something like a 37 gallon and like, a 40 long.

It's a 40 gallon long. Big piece of driftwood in the middle, lots of plants along the left side with a red flourite substrate, lots of rocks along the right side with a sand base. There are enough item to block a clear line-of-sight for the length of the tank, so the pursuers almost seem like they are looking for him. He stays well out of their way, but they come looking for him. Wish I had a 60 g but I don't.

As an example, in one corner of the tank is a small rock formation where the fish retreats to for most of the day. From his hiding spot, he cannot be seen from anywhere in the tank. A fish looking for him would have to swim through a small passage to find him, but the two bullies often pursue him into this redoubt. No physical contact beyond the slightest nudge, but it sends him bolting to the other side of the tank, and they go looking for him again. The oddest thing.

Back
Top Bottom