set up for cichlids...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bartek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to this forum, but I just came across it and I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here.
I had a question about a tank set up. I'm in the process of upgrading, and have been doing some reading. I currently have two black convicts and one texas cichlids. My question is: should i do all fine sand bottom, along with some rocks, and caves, or should i do fine sand bottom along with gravel, or should i do all gravel bottom? Any advice is welcome.
Thanks, Bart.

id do an all gravel as some cichlids when they eat off the ground they usually take some gravel with them and i just dont think sand go down there system right, gravel they spit back out.

I only have african cichlids, so yours may difer from mine. But, mine pick up the gravel in their mouths and move it. They are like that TV show changing spaces. I arrange the tank, and they say "That's pretty good, but I think these gravel pieces belong......over there!"

They dig under the decorations with their mouths.

So, for my tank, gravel only is the way to go. You may want to find out if your convicts will do this and avoid sand if they do.

My Africans do the same thing. The big red zebra, OJ, has a tendency to move the almost all the gravel from one side of the tank to the other. Now that we have heavier rocks in there, he's got to be careful about rock slides! He's currently in the process of excavating all the gravel out from under his cave. He can move 5-6 small pieces in his mouth at a time, it's hilarious to watch. Sometimes when you're sitting on the couch next to the tank, you can hear him spitting rocks against the side of the tank.

Ryan

heh...my GOLDFISH do that...although what they really like to do is take pieces of gravel in their mouth, swim to the top, spit it out, then race the sinking rock back down.

I was pretty perplexed when I 1st saw them doing this....

Convicts will certainly "rearrange" the gravel in their tank. You should use all gravel with lots of caves and other hiding places. If you have a pair of convicts they will start to spawn pretty soon. All other fish in the tank will be in trouble at this point if they don't have room to run and hide. I have two breeding pairs in a 500 gallon tank. When they spawn they keep all the others ( 3 large Oscars, huge leperanus, 2.5 foot Arrowana) away. They have no fear.

Back
Top Bottom